SSMS extremely slow on Open Table

• After a Windows Update (I installed .NET 3.5 update and Internet Explorer 8) SSMS has a severe problem.

When I "Open Table" to view all the records in a table, the cpu goes to almost 100% and the records are drawn very slowly.

I think it's the graphic, which runs like a snail, it takes about 1 min to paint the tab-page and some parts are missing.

Every action afterwards, like for example resizing the object browser takes the cpu up again and the screen starts repainting with a speed even slower then you can read.

When I Query the same table with a simple select statement using "new query", the grid fills up in no time.

So I think the problem lies in Management Studio itself in the screen called by Open Table.

I found a solution for IE7 on the Internet:

Select Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and disable:

- "Check for publisher's certificate revocation"

- "Check for server certificate revocation"

- "Check for signatures for downloaded programs"

I tried these on IE8, but it made no difference.

Pentium 3400 (year 2005), XP-SP3, SqlServer Developer SP3, screen resolution 1920 x 1080

• I had a very similar issues with a Dev's PC.

I updated to the latest graphics driver and it seemed to be a little quicker (not perfect)!

• try a lower resolution @ lower bits as well....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• @Henrico.

I tried a another resolution: 16 bits in stead of 32 bits. Maybe it's a bit faster, but still very slow. :crying:

• @ sql_lock:

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'll try to update to the latest graphics driver.

• Run SQL BPA maybe you'll get some answers there? I know I have.

Sounds like an underlying problem, and directly related to your hardware or drivers?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker

Run SQL BPA.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by BPA, please could you explain?

• BPA = Best Practise Analyzer

Download Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DA0531E4-E94C-4991-82FA-F0E3FBD05E63&displaylang=en

This will evaluate your SQL Server and provide a very detailed report on all recommendations (as per Microsoft)

Show's vulnerabilities, issues with growth etc...

Handly tool for all DBA's on basic troubleshooting...

• Thanks Henrico,

I am a developer, not a DBA, that's why I didn't know what a BPA stands for 😉

• Henk Schreij (9/18/2009)

@ sql_lock:

I Updated the Intel 82915G driver (from the year 2004) to the latest version (2007).

And now is "Open Table" fast again 🙂

Thank you !

• Henk Schreij (9/23/2009)

Henk Schreij (9/18/2009)

@ sql_lock:

I Updated the Intel 82915G driver (from the year 2004) to the latest version (2007).

And now is "Open Table" fast again 🙂

Thank you !

No prob... 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply