SSMS & Database snapshot

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SSMS & Database snapshot

Thanks

• I beg to differ.

Yes, ok, you cant by default right click and select Create (although there is a very nifty add in available to do this).

But what about creating a snapshot by using t-sql IN SSMS?

And yes, I read the part on the reference link:

Note

SQL Server Management Studio does not support the creation of database snapshots.

This question was 2 sided, and don't think FALSE is 100% correct.

Comments?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• I am agree with Henrico.

In SQL Books Online in the section 'How to: Create a Database Snapshot (Transact-SQL)'you can find that: ...

... The only way to create a snapshot is to use Transact-SQL

But SSMS can helps you to create/run/debug T-SQL code xor...? Therefore I am also meaning that this question has no definite answer. In my opinion 'It depends' seems to be most correct answer.;-)

• I agree with the other posters. I hot the answer correct because I assumed that the author was thinking of the "create database wizard"/GUI part in SSMS, but as the other posters has stated, you can execute T-SQL in SSMS and therefor you can create a snapshot database.

• I disagree. I think it's being a bit nitpicky to say that "Oh, you can run T-SQL code in SSMS so you can therefore create database snapshots using it". Besides, the question wasn't "Can you create a database snapshot in SSMS?", it was "Does SSMS support creating database snapshots?", which has a slightly different emphasis IMHO.

• I disagree with you paul 🙂

I don't see any real difference in the two different wordings you present.

The "confusing" part of the question was the "It depends" option. "It depends" should probably be the correct answer since the question does not clearly state that it is talking about the SSMS GUI part.

So "it depends" on how I interpret the question. Questions should be clear and concise, and I think this question failed at this a little bit, especially with the "It depends" option.

• T-SQL is required to create the snapshot, but how many people create snapshots using jobs or SSIS packages? Most people open up SSMS to do it, ergo, the common perception (despite the Microsoft article) is that SSMS does support Snapshots because you have to use a query window to do it.

It seems to me that this question is that it was picked out of a Microsoft article without the author understanding what that comment from the KB article meant. I say this because the author didn't bother to add additional explanation. Just "Look at Microsoft's KB article." Microsoft has posted numerous KB articles, books, and other items with erroneous information before. Most people know this. Therefore, relying on one KB to state the case is a little like a lawyer going into court and saying "You need to rule in my favor because I read a book." to the judge.

If the author had provided a more complete explanation for this question, aside from the KB article, I would feel like this was less of an attempt to one-up people and more of an honest quiz question.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I think the right answer is "it depends". It depends on what you mean by "supports the creation of database snapshots". The MS documentation says SSMS doesn't, which implies one meaning for that phrase. Most people who create database snapshots use SSMS, so it's pretty clear that in some real sense SMSS does.

So here we have a case with rotten unclear/ambiguous documentation from MS (they could easily have made a clear, unambiguous, and accurate statement like "SMSS supports creation of database snapshots only through the use of T-SQL", or "SMSS provides no wizard or other GUI to obviate the need to use T-SQL when creating database snapshots", but they didn't.

I'm inclined to think that the question author either read the MS documentation without realising what it meant or intended this as a trick question.

Tom

• I too Choose "It Depends" Answer and got it wrong

• janki (12/3/2010)

I too Choose "It Depends" Answer and got it wrong

Me 2... it depends on the sql server version as well which was not specified in the question. So true and false were not 100% certain there along with the scripting point made many times over.

• The answer to this question is withOUT question: it depends. Are you talking of right-clicking in the object explorer to create one (not supported), or are you including the fact you can open up a t-sql window and create a snapshot???? Which one?! Well, the answer depends on knowing that, and the info is not given. Therefor, it depends is the correct answer, period.

• Sorry, this is not a very good question. I got it right, only because I assumed that the writer of the QOD meant to infer that there is a wizard built in to do this. In this case, the answer is correct.

Unfortunately the method of creating a snapshot is not done with a wizard. Most people would open SSMS to run an adhoc SQL command which now makes the answer the opposite of what it is. I would not even agree to the third option, as you can in fact perform the task from within SSMS.

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• I agree with the others that this is not a good question, or the answer should be True. As others have pointed out that you can use T-Sql within SSMS. But you don't even need to use T-SQL...

Within SSMS, click on Replication -> Publications, right click -> New Publication, and follow the wizard for either a Merge or Snapshot replication, and a snapshot will be created! I'd say that SSMS supports that quite well since you don't even need to know any T-Sql!

🙂

• Patrick2525 (12/3/2010)

Within SSMS, click on Replication -> Publications, right click -> New Publication, and follow the wizard for either a Merge or Snapshot replication, and a snapshot will be created! I'd say that SSMS supports that quite well since you don't even need to know any T-Sql!

Don't get the two snapshots mixed up. Database Snapshots are not the same thing as Replication Snapshots.

Replication Snapshots are designed to create a base for publications and future replication activities. They don't even necessarily have to have all the data from a database to do this. Just the data that's published in publications and articles. You can't restore from a Replication Snapshot.

Database Snapshots are a sparse file. They designed to hold old data that has recently changed in your source database and they can be restored from. You can't replicate from a Database Snapshot.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I wouldn't consider running T-SQL to be using SSMS. I know it technically does because there is no other editor, but I have felt when talking with people over the last few years that using SSMS means using a GUI, not T-SQL code.

However, I see how the "it depends" throws things off. So I have awarded back all points and changed the question to specifically mention using a GUI.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply