ssms crashes when editing .sql script

• I've recently been having an issue with ssms freezing and crashing while editing a sql script. The script size is 43KB, not large at all. I'm not executing the script, I'm just editing it.

The application logs show .NET Runtime error for ssms.exe System.OutOfMemoryException and an application error stating Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version 2017.140.17289.0 Faulting module name KERNELBASE.dll, version 10.0.17134.556

This very specifically only happens when editing a .sql file and it is not consistent, so it is hard to reproduce.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• I have this type of problem when I have too many SQL windows open or too much stuff running on my PC. The problem persists, often, even after closing the windows. For me it seems to be related to problems with specific releases. Keeping in mind that SSMS is mostly backwards compatible; I suggest using the most recent version (17.9.1) which has been stable based on my experience.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• I have this problem regardless of how many tabs I have open and I am currently running the latest release 17.9.1.

• Are there any strange characters or anything else in the script? What if you open the script in Wordpad and then paste half of it in SSMS? Does it still crash? Or paste the other half?

• The only time I see this type of errors is when I have many result sets open, never seen it when I've had many query windows open. Most of the time I have tens open at the same time and no problem.

😎

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply