SSMS and SQL Azure

• My shop is just starting to work with SQL Azure and I'm finding that some SSMS and T-SQL functionality is missing. For example:

*exec sp_helprolemember'db_owner' returns an error but isn't listed as deprecated

*Right mouse click functionality (Add user, Add role member) open scripts templates not a dialog

*Property dialogs for listing members, attributes etc of databases objects (procedures, users) aren't available options

I have the latest version of SSMS 2016 and I'm running on V12. Is anyone aware of articles or blogs outlining the SSMS roadmap for Azure?

It feels intentional as opposed to not being ready. I think it represents a lot of productivity loss, it took me 20 minutes to write a script for sp_helprolemember. I have it forever now and can make it a snippet\hotkey\script but a lot less convenient that is for sure.

David

• That command isn't one I would have used all that much in the past which might explain why I had to look it up. If you look at the documentation on it, it's the "Applies to" right at the top that tells you where you can run stuff. This one lists only SQL Server. No Azure SQL Database and no Azure SQL Data Warehouse. That means the command won't work there. Most of the time you can easily guess which commands won't work. They're almost always going to be the commands that are related to server level operations. Since there is effectively no server (not entirely true, but certainly the easiest way to think about it), the server level commands won't work. However, a database level command like this... I don't know. I suspect it's just one of those surface area things that they haven't gotten around to covering yet.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It is not a command I would typically user either since the properties dialog of the role would give you the membership. The lack of support for properties dialog and other context menu's was more surprising than a particular system SP not working.

That's why I was wondering if this was more of a work in progress thing or strategic choice by MS to be more T-SQL focused the GUI focused n SQL Azure. Neither changes our adoption of SQL Azure but does impact how DBA's would work with it.

• There are a lot of commands in SSMS that use server level calls to work. So, they don't work well with Azure. The basics are there, but not the more GUI oriented stuff.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply