SSMS 2016 slow connection (Windows 10)

• After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - and after some updates of windows a very slow connection (10 - 20s) to SQL server accrued.

Queries are executing normally.

I tried everything I found about this on the internet but nothing helps.

I'm returning to some system restore point that SQL is working fine and for some time it works fine and than stops again.

The slowlines is triggered randomly. SQL Server 2012 is on Windows Server 2012.

This problem is only with Windows 10 (x64) other PCs with Windows 7 are working fine with this server and ssms 2016.

Any help would be welcome.

• matej_grabnar (11/2/2016)

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - and after some updates of windows a very slow connection (10 - 20s) to SQL server accrued.

I'm returning to some system restore point that SQL is working fine and for some time it works fine and than stops again.

This problem is only with Windows 10 (x64) other PCs with Windows 7 are working fine with this server and ssms 2016.

Check if you have the latest version of SSMS 2016 as there have been many and frequent updates.

😎

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - and after some updates of windows a very slow connection (10 - 20s) to SQL server accrued.

If you close SSMS and then open it again, do things speed up for a while? I have to do this periodically because there seems to be a point where it takes 30 seconds or so to open a new tab. Closing and reopening fixes things, for a while.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Try disable all SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting options.

If that doesnt work, try disable (Check for publishers certificate revocation) in IE Advanced options, if you willing to accept the security implications.

Catch-all queries done right [/url]
    Gail Shaw's Performance Blog[/url]

• I have SSMS RELEASE 2016.5 installed. Tried reopen/reinastall - I even did format & reinstall Windows 10 (with like 1 month of great SQL working connections)

I have no options in configuration manager for SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting options.

Also tried with unchecked 'publishers certificate revocation' with no changes.

Is it something with Windows 10 or something?

I have SSMS RELEASE 2016.5 installed. Tried reopen/reinastall - I even did format & reinstall Windows 10 (with like 1 month of great SQL working connections)

I have no options in configuration manager for SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting options.

Also tried with unchecked 'publishers certificate revocation' with no changes.

Is it something with Windows 10 or something?

I have W10 and don't experience this ... though I do get annoying slow-downs as described above.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I myself noticed slow navigation/scrolling in SSMS when I have large scripts open. Eventually I modified IntelliSense and AutoRecovery settings to smaller values. That improved the performance quite a bit.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Initial Login to servers is not affected by this lag - after login when SQL starts to connect to databases (next to server name in brackets with 'expanding...') The same 10 - 20s lag is when I click on 'Available databases' dropdown menu. With clean install of Visual Studio 2015 and SSMS 2016.

• Well... I made it to work...

I disabled my antivirus (TrendMicro) and SQL instantly started working normally.

Then I enabled the antivirus back and SQL was slow again.

I guess it is kind of a solution....a crappy one...

• Exclude the appropriate files per the Microsoft guidelines, & you should be able to run anti-virus software with minimal performance impacts: How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server 2 (file/directory recommendations start about half-way down the page)

• matej_grabnar (11/3/2016)

Well... I made it to work...

I disabled my antivirus (TrendMicro) and SQL instantly started working normally.

Then I enabled the antivirus back and SQL was slow again.

I guess it is kind of a solution....a crappy one...

It isn't a crappy solution at all. Do you realise that every time you call data from the database the anti-Virus autoscan function Scans the .mdf, .ndf and .ldf datafiles. Now imagine that during a scan you call more data and a new scan is started, now you call more data and a new scan is started......(you get the idea...)

If you don't have database-aware anti-Virus running then you will need to create exceptions to prevent scans on database files at access time.

You do not have to disable the entire antivirus solution.....

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply