SSMS 2012 connect to SQL 2016

• My PC is running Windows 7 and SSMS 2012.

How to connect PC to back-end SQL 2016 ?

• Download the current (or a more recent) version of SSMS. You can find the downloads at this link:

Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)

Sue

• It is working great in another PC in which there is no another version of SSMS.

Question:

I want to install version 18.5 in my PC in which has old version 11.0 of SSMS.

Do I need to uninstall 11.0 version of SSMS first?

• I've had problems before with bugs in prior versions of SSMS still showing up when I didn't uninstall the older version of SSMS. They've made the monthly releases of SSMS a bit of a mess and just release new versions to address the bugs so it's like a game of whack a mole since it's different bugs in different versions. Usually you're fine for the most part on the latest version though. If you need to connect to SSIS  on a SQL Server 2012 instance using SSMS, you need that version of SSMS (the one that matches the instance), or you used to anyway. I've kind of given up on following if that ever got addressed.

Sue

• You can have SSMS versions 16, 17 and 18 running side-by-side, as well as the version of SSMS bundled with SQL Server 2014.

As Sue_H highlights, there are hidden compatibility problems with SSIS, and the multiple versions of SQL Server Configuration Manager will start fighting each other (I can almost run "mofcomp.exe sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof" from memory now). Also note that SSMS will silently upgrade your local version of .NET, which might cause other issues on your client.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply