SSMS 2008 express edition!!

• Hi

I was trying to modify an existing maintenance plan from SSMS(from management-->Maintenenace Plans). I select the maintenance plan, right click and select "Modify" but nothing happens.

Then I came to know from google that it might be because I am using SSMS express edition.

But when I select Help-->About...., this is what I get:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio10.0.2531.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)6.1.7600.16385

Microsoft MSXML3.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer9.0.8112.16421

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.4963

Operating System6.1.7600

My question is : Does vesrion 10.0.2531.0 means express edition? I am surprised if it is so. How in the world anybody would know? And if it is not, then why I am not able to edit my maintenance plan?

Online Trainer For SQL DBA and Developer @RedBushTechnologies with 18 yrs exp.

• 10.0.2531 means its SQL2008 SP1, unsure how you check that SSMS is installed via Express with Advanced Tools or another media.

Are you able to RDP to the server and run SSMS from the server to modify the MP? If so it could point the error to a wrong version of SSMS being installed locally.

• Well, I can not RDP the server. And I am not sure how the SSMS on client was installed as it is an old machine and is given to me to use.

Thanks for confirming atleast that it is not express edition of SSMS.

Now I may try to get RDP credentials and move from there...

Thanks

• im not saying that its NOT express SSMS, it might well be express SSMS, i'm just saying I dont know how you check that the version of SSMS was installed via Express or Standard/Enterprise

the number just means you have installed a version (express/standard/enterprise) of SQL2008 tools and applied SP1

• So we should have a way to check that the version of SSMS was installed via Express or Standard/Enterprise. Since it was already installed on this machine, I really dont know how this installation happened.

But it surprises me that such a simple info is not effectively presented in Help-->About.... section

The no. there really doesn't help me much.

Anyone else out here know of any other way to tell if the SSMS version installed on client is an express verion or not?

Thanks

• Where is the url??

• Modifying a maintenance plan requires SSIS to be installed, I believe. Do you have that installed? I don't really think there is a difference between the SSMS versions for express or anything else. The GUI stays the same, it is the database engine that is different.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• So you mean to say if I want to modify the maintenance plan from any client, then SSIS should be installed on all clients or do you mean that it should be installed on server only??

I read at many place from google that if SSMS is express version, then you can not modify maintenance plan.

• So you mean to say if I want to modify the maintenance plan from any client, then SSIS should be installed on all clients or do you mean that it should be installed on server only??

It depends on the version http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi/archive/2009/08/26/do-maintenance-plans-require-ssis.aspx

I read at many place from google that if SSMS is express version, then you can not modify maintenance plan.

This may be the case, but seems counterintuitive to me as this is just a gui for SQL Server. Also, I've read where people say it can create a maintenance plan, but not edit an existing one. This occurs where SSMS Express is 2008 R2 and the db engine is 2005. Could be that the engine is requiring the SSIS and the express SSMS does not have it, but does not need it for 2008. Not completely sure.

2 options:

1. Install SSIS on your machine and see if it fixes the issue.

2. Install SSMS from the Standard Ed. CD on your client and see if it fixes the issue.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• To check it with SSIS, I 'll need visual studio on my machine. It is already there but it's a trial version of VS2008 which has already expired 🙁

So I need to go one step back and get it fixed first.

I am opening a new thread to know of issues I might face while upgrading VS trail version on a live server.

• S_Kumar_S (3/27/2012)

To check it with SSIS, I 'll need visual studio on my machine. It is already there but it's a trial version of VS2008 which has already expired 🙁

So I need to go one step back and get it fixed first.

I am opening a new thread to know of issues I might face while upgrading VS trail version on a live server.

? Why are you updating it on the server versus your machine? I am confused at your statements...

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply