SSMS 2008 and SQL 2012

• I've noticed that SSMS 2008 R2 will connect to and open SQL2012, which surprised me because some older SQL tools don't work with higher versions. Are there any issues with managing a 2012 instalnce with 2008 R2 SSMS as long as you're not managing new 2012 features like AlwaysOn?

• It'll do the basics, but don't be shocked if some of the GUI stuff completely wipes out, like, backups, due to the changes there, will likely crash. I don't know that for a fact, but it makes sense. However, looking at agent & jobs and running T-SQL, basic object explorer, they'll all work just fine.

Of course, the reverse it true as well. You could just install the 2012 GUI and manage 2008 and not have to worry about issues since backward compatibility works.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I'm using SQL 2008 R2 Management Studio to manage a number of 2012, 2008, 2005 and 2000 SQL instances without any major issues. I've never tried backups from the GUI as Grant has mentioned as most of my stuff is scripted. A couple of things I've noticed that break in the GUI are editing tables, and setting the database compatibility level from the Database Properties dialog (so I use scripts instead).

A bigger issue for me is developing SSIS packages and I have to RDP onto a Win 2008 R2 server with the management and development tools on to do this.

I'm stuck runing Windows XP for now otherwise I would have installed the SQL 2012 Management Studio on my desktop.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply