SSISDB in SQL 2016

• Team, 
    I'm trying to figure out if I can import packages in SSISDB catalogue and run bat script 
    Is this still possible ?
    Can someone share example please ? I'm not able to find anything from Microsoft so far 
    If we are not able to use batch script then what will be the alternative ?
    example please, I'm new with SSISDB 
    Thanks
    Dave

• What do you want the batch script to do?

• We are migrating from 2008 to 2016 and developers are running packages  from c: drive folder using .bat script
    so they want to use something similar in future, Can this be possible in SQL 2016?
    please explain

• Davekahn - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:23 AM

We are migrating from 2008 to 2016 and developers are running packages  from c: drive folder using .bat script
    so they want to use something similar in future, Can this be possible in SQL 2016?
    please explain

So you want to know whether it is possible to execute SSISDB-deployed packages from the command line?
    Check this post to see whether it answers your question.
    Alternatively, create a stored proc to execute packages in SSISDB and call that from your bat files.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil

Can we still setup jobs old way  from agent and keep SSIS packages in C drive ?
    Or this is not possible in SQL 2016 going forward

• Davekahn - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:34 PM

Thanks Phil

Can we still setup jobs old way  from agent and keep SSIS packages in C drive ?
    Or this is not possible in SQL 2016 going forward

File system is still a Package source on the job step screen, so yes.
    Also, if you want to continue to run packages from the C: drive, why import them into the SSIS db at all?

• Well, another DBA in office is saying we can't use .bat script with keeping packages in C drive we need to use new SSIS DB 
    I was looking around in Microsoft and not able to see any white paper that says we cannot use old way of doing things 
    So if we keep the script in c:drive folder and run a bat file from agent we will be fine - If I understood correctly 
    Please confirm 
    and if you have any white paper that will help 
    Thanks

• Davekahn - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:59 PM

Well, another DBA in office is saying we can't use .bat script with keeping packages in C drive we need to use new SSIS DB 
    I was looking around in Microsoft and not able to see any white paper that says we cannot use old way of doing things 
    So if we keep the script in c:drive folder and run a bat file from agent we will be fine - If I understood correctly 
    Please confirm 
    Thanks

It should continue working as you want. Why not download 2016 Dev Edition and test it for yourselves ... it's free?
    I would suggest that you do consider migrating to SSISDB though ... there are a few excellent benefits of doing so.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Davekahn - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:59 PM

Well, another DBA in office is saying we can't use .bat script with keeping packages in C drive we need to use new SSIS DB 
    Please confirm 
    Thanks

I think what your other DBA is trying to tell you is to look at doing this using the catalog instead of using batch files.  Once you actually migrate to using SSISDB you won't need batch files to kick of jobs - or need to worry about encryption of credentials or package configuration files or other file-based options.

You may even find that you can simplify things since you can now setup a project and deploy as a project, separating out functionality across different packages as needed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply