SSIS & Webservice Call Timeouts

• I have an SSIS package with a single task (a Script Task). The script task calls a webservice (an .aspx page) that was designed by our developers. The webservice goes to our SAP server, fetches back report information, then emails those reports to lots of people. I would say hundreds, but I don't know how many for sure.

Usually, this process works fine and completes in 9 to 14 minutes. But every occasionally, it takes longer than 15 minutes and at the 15 minute mark, the connection gets logged off of SAP.

We have tried and tried to troubleshoot this, even having SAP watch on their end as this package runs. And when that 15 minute mark hits, they tell us that we've stopped sending data and closed the connection on our end. But our package has failed because of a closed connection on their end (according to the error).

We've tried maxing out all the timeouts, even the script task has a timeout property set to MaxValue, but cannot prevent the issue from occurring?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Error Message

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at ScriptTask_cbad40f42c9d405eb9e6e06284f66aeb.vbproj.SAPSetNetDueDate.WSSetNetDueDate()

at ScriptTask_cbad40f42c9d405eb9e6e06284f66aeb.vbproj.ScriptMain.Main()

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• More information.

When we call the webservices directly from the service, it doesn't timeout at the 15 minute mark. Only when we call it from the SSIS package does it timeout.

Does that help?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hello,

I'm encountering a similar error were you able to figure out how to increase the timeout for ssis web service calls?

Thanks,

Pat

• Pat, you misunderstood my problem. We had all the timeouts maxed out or set to 0 for no timeouts. Despite this, we were having problems with the timeouts.

I'm not sure how to fix the webservice timeouts. The Devs did those on their connection calls. The SQL Server timeouts are set in Server Properties under Connections (Remote query timeout). Depending on what you're doing, there may be additional places you need to look at timeouts. I don't remember how many places we had to uncover on our environment.

• We have this same issue.  An SSIS package that has one single script task.  A Web service call, which takes a long time to do what it needs to do.

It completes fine if running SSIS from Visual Studio.

Once deploy the package to SQL Server 2016 SSISDB it fails on the script task at exactly 15 minutes and 1 second.

Where is this 15 minute timeout on the c# script task web service call?

This same package runs in an older version of VS on a different older server which is SQL 2012 and it works fine there. The new server is in the cloud.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply