SSIS Variable Casting

• npodlesny (12/3/2013)

Interesting question. I like it and I do use date variables in SSIS Send Mail Task.

Did anyone tried to verify the given "right" answers?

Here what I've got by trying following:

- created SSIS package

- in control flow added "Send Mail Task"

- added an expression (DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime] for "MessageSource" property

- evaluation failed as following:

Expression cannot be evaluated.

The expression "(DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime]" has a result type of "DT_STR", which cannot be converted to a supported type.

(Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Controls)

Perhaps, author's "using this variable in email messages" refers to something else?.. Curious to find out.

Thank you!

Interesting. That conversion worked for me but I normally do not use it. (SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2)

• Thought the conversion needed to be Unicode, but I could be wrong...

• sneumersky (12/4/2013)

Thought the conversion needed to be Unicode, but I could be wrong...

Correct.

Just for the record, I upgraded all my SQL Server components to Service Pack 2 (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)) and no difference, same error.

• npodlesny (12/5/2013)

sneumersky (12/4/2013)

Thought the conversion needed to be Unicode, but I could be wrong...

Correct.

Just for the record, I upgraded all my SQL Server components to Service Pack 2 (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)) and no difference, same error.

Used in an OnError event

• steve.jacobs (12/5/2013)

Used in an OnError event

Steve,

Thanks to your example I made an interesting discovery:

When expression look just like following (DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime] engine seems cannot perform implicit conversion into expected Unicode data type, but when you add to it concatenation with some string (even just empty string) like following - it seems corrects user error and you good to go! "" + (DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime]

Anyway, I suggest to use proper casts to eliminate confusion for next developers that would face our code 😉

Ahh... one more thing, whether to use Send Mail Task in Control Flow or Event Handlers - does not matter. Difference only in Variables collection. For example, variable "System::ErrorDescription" will not be found in Control Flow.

Thank you again.

• npodlesny (12/5/2013)

steve.jacobs (12/5/2013)

Used in an OnError event

Steve,

Thanks to your example I made an interesting discovery:

When expression look just like following (DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime] engine seems cannot perform implicit conversion into expected Unicode data type, but when you add to it concatenation with some string (even just empty string) like following - it seems corrects user error and you good to go! "" + (DT_STR, 60, 1252) @[System::ContainerStartTime]

Anyway, I suggest to use proper casts to eliminate confusion for next developers that would face our code 😉

Ahh... one more thing, whether to use Send Mail Task in Control Flow or Event Handlers - does not matter. Difference only in Variables collection. For example, variable "System::ErrorDescription" will not be found in Control Flow.

Thank you again.

You are absolutely correct pertaining to using proper casts. I never use the DT_STR for various reasons. As for the tasks and event handlers, all I was doing was indicating where I was using the Send Mail Task. Again, pertaining to Variable collection, you are correct as to what is available depending on where you are using the task.

Thanks

• I forget. Is there a limit on the size of a WSTR variable....something like 4,000 characters. If someone's email message exceeded that number of characters, that could be an issue, but I would think the failure message would be pretty clear in that case......

I was burned by a similar SSIS character limit one time when I was dynamically creating an XMLA string to be executed later in an SSAS Execute DDL downstream task. Horrors of being on the standard edition back in the day!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply