SSIS solution structure and VSS

• I have all the config files for my various packages in a folder call configs. It seems that I cannot add folders to the SSIS solution. I can add config files individually, but they get copied into the root folder, which breaks the directory structure that I have.

Am I missing something? Is there a recommended to manage config files, and other external files used by the SSIS package, in SourceSafe and in the SSIS solution? Thank you.

• I have no problem getting SSIS packages to use config files from common folders.  But SourceSafe doesn't maintain separate paths for each file in a project, if you bring the config file into the same SourceSafe project it will show up in the same folder.  It will let you edit the local copy of the file, but it won't copy the changed file to the common folder.

You might consider creating a separate SourceSafe project in your config file folder that includes all the config files, then in the SSIS projects that use them tell SourceSafe the config files are shared with the config project.  This won't keep SourceSafe from making local copies of the config file every time you use Get Latest, but you can probably delete them if they bother you because your SSIS package has the full path to the common folder.

If you want to change the config file, editing the copy in the config project would be the way to do it.  If you edit a shared copy it will have no effect because SSIS will still go to the common config folder and see the original.

These are some ideas off the top of my head, there are some questions I don't have the answers to.  If a config file is in a different SourceSafe project, what happens when you try to modify it through the Integration Services IDE?  Will it fail to store the changes because it can't check out the file from a different project, so it is still read-only?  You may have to open SourceSafe and check out the config files in the config project manually first, then check it in manually later.

• Thank you. That seems like a good suggestion.

-Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply