SSIS Slower for Data Imports??

• Jeff Moden (3/8/2010)

T-SQL_NewBie (3/8/2010)

Jeff Moden (3/7/2010)

T-SQL_NewBie (3/4/2010)

I have been told by my manager that SSIS 2008 is slower than Hibernate for data migration, apparently because of cache problems..how do I reason that SSIS is better. As for the requirement, we are moving from a Object Model to SQL Server 2008. SSIS will be used for data migration

Any suggestions are welcome...

WHICH Hibernate??? The one associated with Java or something else?

Yeah, the one associated with Java. I am not aware of the way it exactly works, but I reckon it can genarate HQL scripts based off the database structure.

Thanks..

We ("they") used the "Java Version" of Hibernate to "simplify" transfers between Oracle and SQL Server at one company I worked at. It usually worked fairly well but, like anything else, "It Depends". Same goes with NHibernate in the "C#" world. We had one developer who decided to "get" everything (he called it an "Aggressive GET") that a rather complicated screen would ever need even if it wasn't needed at the time to "save trips to the server". It turned out to be a monster 30 table join. The 30 tables wasn't the "monster"... the way they were joined was... it took 7 minutes to run on a single user development server and the developer (actually... Senior Application Developer) thought that was "ok" because it was "getting a whole lot of data". I had to leave the room or the man would have died from instant pork chop poisoning. 😉

Can it beat SSIS? Dunno... I don't use SSIS if I can help it (and, so far, I've been able to help it :-P).

Of course, I also won't use Hibernate because of the problems I've seen in the HQL behind the scenes. It has no sensibilities when it comes to making a sargeable join or where clause.

The way it has been put forward by the manager is that it can beat SSIS :unsure: and that it will not require cleaning the cache every single time the job runs unlike for SSIS...is that correct???

Edited: And, the database being normalized I would like to convince them to use something that actually takes care of the referential integrity and that SSIS can do it as it is only being used to read the data from source and that the actual data is being inserted with Stored Procedures along with the data validation and tonnes of error handling that's required..:w00t:

• The way it has been put forward by the manager is that it can beat SSIS [Unsure] and that it will not require cleaning the cache every single time the job runs unlike for SSIS...is that correct???

We have run DTS/SSIS package for five hours a day five days a week so I don't understand what this means.

In the Microsoft platform the cache is not needed because you can either use ADO.NET task and leave the database in memory all RDBMS comes with native ADO.NET providers. The other option is script task using system.io using memory stream. In SQL Server 2005 you must call dispose bool or use the using statement in VB because that using statement is new to VB so it is very important to remember that when using the streams.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply