SSIS Precedence

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SSIS Precedence

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Interesting question!

I don't quite see how the first answer doesn't also qualify if the group is within the sequence container? Depending on the nesting you have in the package both the first or third could be right or wrong.

• Careful reading would have helped to win the point... 😉

Thanks for the question and teaching me the lesson to first read, understand, think and only then reply.

Additional information can be found here (just a suggestion):

Precedence Constraints (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141261.aspx)

How to Connect Tasks and Containers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141202.aspx)

• Michael Riemer (8/19/2010)

Interesting question!

I don't quite see how the first answer doesn't also qualify if the group is within the sequence container? Depending on the nesting you have in the package both the first or third could be right or wrong.

If I read the QotD correctly, the first option (Precedence constraints can connect tasks inside Sequence Containers to tasks inside Groups) is asking to connect individual tasks from within a sequence container to tasks inside a group.

So this is different from option #3, as the entire sequence container can connect to any other task inside a group; but the individual tasks inside the sequence container cannot be connected to tasks outside of this particular sequence container.

Got it wrong myself for reading it this way: tasks can be connected inside a sequence container; a sequence container can be connected to task inside groups--while this statement is true, it is not what option #1 is suggesting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael

• Woohoo, got it right!

Great question, even though I was sure what all the pieces were, still had to think carefully to figure it out.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Good question. I had to think for a couple of minutes about it, but in the end my logic was right on. 🙂

Thanks.

• Nice one:-)

We need more BI questions:-)

Thanks

• Thanks for that question. I have to go stick my brain in a bucket of ice now.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • michael.kaufmann (8/19/2010)

If I read the QotD correctly, the first option (Precedence constraints can connect tasks inside Sequence Containers to tasks inside Groups) is asking to connect individual tasks from within a sequence container to tasks inside a group.

If the Group is inside the sequence Container (definitely possible) I don't see why the tasks can't connect to it! If my package only has one sequence container with everything in groups in that container, does that not satisfy the condition of a task in a container connecting to tasks inside groups?

So this is different from option #3, as the entire sequence container can connect to any other task inside a group; but the individual tasks inside the sequence container cannot be connected to tasks outside of this particular sequence container.

Like before, if I have two sequence containers, and then a number of groups within each container, this statement would be false as the container would only be able to connect to the other container and not the groups therein.

It is a great question in teaching something but needs a bit more clarity. By elimination, I agree that 3 is the best answer as it is a more logical way to do things, however answer 1 is still possible to do! So which is the "most" correct answer rather than the correct answer.

michael.kaufmann (8/19/2010)

If the Group is inside the sequence Container (definitely possible) I don't see why the tasks can't connect to it! If my package only has one sequence container with everything in groups in that container, does that not satisfy the condition of a task in a container connecting to tasks inside groups?

Like before, if I have two sequence containers, and then a number of groups within each container, this statement would be false as the container would only be able to connect to the other container and not the groups therein.

It is a great question in teaching something but needs a bit more clarity. By elimination, I agree that 3 is the best answer as it is a more logical way to do things, however answer 1 is still possible to do! So which is the "most" correct answer rather than the correct answer.

"Precedence constraints can connect tasks inside Sequence Containers to tasks inside Groups" - this sentence is treating the Sequence Container as one object, and the Group as a separate object, your situation would be:

"Precedence constraints can connect tasks inside Sequence Containers to tasks inside Groups within Sequence Containers"

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

This proves that "Precedence constraints can connect SOME tasks inside Sequence Containers to tasks inside Groups."

If you check the question, you'll see that the highlighted word SOME is missing there. That makes this statement about as correct as the statement that "Animals are cats".

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Nice question!

I learned something new about SSIS, a product I work with every day.

(I got it right, but only after some experimenting in SSIS).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Unfortunately, the question didn't ask for the "best" answer - it asked "which statement is true". BOTH statements are true. I can prove that they are.

Saying "Tasks inside sequence containers can't connect to tasks inside groups" is like saying "Tasks can't connect to other tasks... if they're in different packages - HAHA - Got you there!"

I understand the point - you can't always connect tasks inside sequence containers to tasks inside groups. But you also can't always connect a sequence container to tasks inside a group - if the group is inside another sequence container. The question left too much unsaid, unfortunately.

Todd McDermid - SQL Server MVP, MCTS (SQL 08 BI), MCSD.Net
    My Blog - Dimension Merge SCD Component for SSIS - SSIS Community Tasks and Components

• Great confusing question.

Alex S
  • you have to love when the system is designed in such a way that you can guess the correct answer without knowing anything just by which name makes sense... WTG MS!

One of these days, I'll have to pick up SSIS. It looks pretty cool

Dan Guzman - Not the MVP (7/22/2010)
    All questions have to be prefaced by Server version and 'according to MS Docs' or 'my own personal opinion based on how much detail I felt like digging into at the time.'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply