SSIS package works on SQL2008R2 but not on SQL2005. Bug on SQL2005?!?

• Hello,

I have a SSIS package which simply load some data from a txt file and insert them on a table. The problem is that this package does not always work on SQL2005(tried on 2 different machines with SQL2005 got the same problem) instead on a SQL2008R2 works. No errors are shown and the package is executed correctly.

description of problem: The txt file has rows with text and numeric fields. ALL rows are imported from the text file but the columns with numeric data not always are converted. Sometimes the convertion works and sometimes not. Sometimes it convert some numeric fields and sometimes not.

Yesterday for example, i have executed the package several times. On every execution i verified the imported data. For the same row sometimes the numeric value were converted and sometimes not.

It seems to me that something bad is happening inside SQL2005.

Any idea what to do?

Thank you

• This "feels" like a source problem. How are the files that work different than the ones that don't..

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (3/3/2012)

This "feels" like a source problem. How are the files that work different than the ones that don't..

CEWII

The file is the same!!! The SSIS package is the same. What change is SQL server. Nothing else!

• So are your SQL 2005 boxes up to the latest service packs?

CEWII

• I think yes. i'm sure that windows is updated. i'll check sql...

• It seems that the problem is solved after i have updated both sql server 2005 machines on SP4.

tried on both machines with sql2005 and now works on both.

What i dont understand is that, i use windows update and it has not found the sp4 for sql.

Strange...

thanks Elliot,

🙂

• WSUS has categories to filter what it will download. Maybe SQL Service Packs were not configured for download within WSUS.

It is not uncommon to exclude SQL Service Packs from WSUS deployment. Typically sites want to plan when (or if) a SQL service pack will be installed on a given server, and this becomes difficult if WSUS automatically pushes it out to every server running SQL.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Not sure man.. By default Windows update only looks for windows updates.. But it you have done that extra little bit it will look for others..

I just never assume that the ancillary software (like SQL) is being updated, I always verify..

Good deal though that it works..

CEWII

• A bit off topic... WSUS is full of 'If Only....'

If Only WSUS had a automatic Decline rules feature as well as an automatic Accept rules. I could then automatically decline all the IA64 updates I will never use.

If Only WSUS only downloaded English language versions of software when I configure it to only download English language versions of software. It would reduce the storage I need to give to WSUS and my bandwidth bill.

If Only WSUS had some reports to show what it had downloaded and where it was stored. It would save me having to re-download stuff that WSUS already had.

If Only the third-party products that provided these facilities were not outside my price range for my home environment.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I have not configured windows update and not touched any configuration!!!

It seems that by default it does not catch updates sp4 sql2005.

Thanks

• I've never had SQL sp's applied automatically so I guess it never occurred to me that it was possible. I am glad that it doesn't, actually. I like to know what's coming when it comes to my data.

• herladygeekedness (3/8/2012)

I've never had SQL sp's applied automatically so I guess it never occurred to me that it was possible. I am glad that it doesn't, actually. I like to know what's coming when it comes to my data.

On my laptop, windows update lists the latest service pack for SQL Server 2008 R2 in the "optional" section. So it will not install it by itself, but it is there if I need it.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply