SSIS package version control

• Yes, verbuild is the one. verid also helps. packagetype is useful too.

What is default client when packagetype = 0?

• I have no idea what 0 (Default client) for packagetype means. Here is the list of values from BOL but I couldn't tell what 0 means..

The client that created the package. The values are as follows: 0 (default client), 1 (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard), 2 (DTS Designer in SQL Server 2000), 3 (SQL Server Replication), 5 (SSIS Designer), and 6 (Maintenance Plan Designer).

• Just found verbuild can be set manually during SSIS pkg development stage.

In MS Visio Studio, open the project, from solution explorer, click SSIS Packages, right click YourPkg.dtsxà Open, from the perperties section, find VersionBuild, you can reset whatever number. When deploy to SQL Sever, the value shows as verbuild. It seems an identity type with auto grow by 1 feature.

This gives developer the control of the version, but for DBA, it is a puzzle. Although verid shows the difference, but there is no previous records saved in msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages90 to compare whenever there is a change.

“ModifyDate” column will help for DBA. I am also thinking whether the previous records should be saved as history/log instead of keeping the current pkg info only.

Wondering how the others opinion.

• BTW, I do not see SQL2008 has much change. There is no modified date or version change history/log in msdb.dbo.sysssispackages.

• I sent a feedback to Microsoft. Package version feature will be considered for the next major release. If you have any comments to add on, here is the link:

SSIS Package Version Change Tracking Log in SSMS - SQL2005 & SQL2008

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=341995

• Hi,

We are planning for SSIS version control at our organisation.what is the best method to implement this?

What tool we can you. Currently we are using TortoiseSVN for version control.

Guide me please.

• I'd keep using SVN. We do and it works great. Any concerns?

• Matt Horton (1/9/2009)

I'd keep using SVN. We do and it works great. Any concerns?

What do you check in to SVN? Just the dtsx files or entire projects?

Thanks.

Jeff

• We check in the entire project since this allows you to easily open the project and run it.

• With SVN how are you guys handling the merge process. From what I've seen with WinMerge or any other diff tool, there are tons of diffs between packages not really related to what the developer did (version #'s, to connection info, SSIS reorganizing things, etc...). I've tried BIDSHelper to use "Smart Diff" to remove the visual portions of the packages when doing comparisons but at the end of the day we still have to manually merge changes by hand.

We are currently a small team, so it can be managed for the time being but I'm curious to see what the solutions are for much larger teams.

• We have had issues if multiple people are working on the same dtsx package, otherwise SVN handles changes really well.

• Hi - I am new to SSIS and I am not too familiar with packages. I have coded mostly in Access and ETL systems. Therefore, when you say load the whole package into Tortoise SVN, what files does that include? I don't want to store more than I need to and not less than I need to.

Thank you.

• I wouldn't do the access database, but the rest I would put in SVN

• My mention of Acces is my history. My question is: Which files in the project do I need to check in. I have the following files:

Folder: ProjectName

ProjectName.sln

ProjectName.suo

Folder: ProjectName

ProjectName.dtproj.user

FileName.dtproj

FileName.dtproj.user

FileName.dtsx

Which of these files do I need to check in? If someone new wanted to check out the code and make edits, which files would they need to be able to see and edit the code?

Thank you.

Tammy

• I am using VSS, and it works OK with SSIS. Not great, just OK.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply