SSIS package to transfer database/backup to server in other domain

• Hi !

I am totally new to SSIS. Need to configure a task to copy database / database back upto other server.

Please suggest.

I tried to do it using Transfer DB task , but the connection to destination server ( diffrent domain) failed.

Please advise.

Thanks !

• Does the login which you use for performing this operation, exist in the destination server ?

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• Yes , It does.

• Or Else We can use back up task followed by FTP tasks to send/Recieve compressed back up files .

What is the cmdshell syntax to compress backup files ?

• [font="Verdana"]Hi,

Try the steps below

*) Provide modify privilege to SQL Service account on the share

*) Take backup to the local drive -- CREATE maint plan to take the backup, schedule this as a job

*) Copy the backup FTP or DOS command -- Make this is step two to copy the current backup to the share drive.

[/font]

• you can copy entire database contents by using export wizard.

Choose destination db to which data is copied and run the wizard.

U can also save package as SSIS and select option rely on sql server and u can schedule the as job by select in steps the SSIS package.

Try it.

Any comments pls.:D

• anjan.ashok (7/1/2008)

you can copy entire database contents by using export wizard.

Choose destination db to which data is copied and run the wizard.

U can also save package as SSIS and select option rely on sql server and u can schedule the as job by select in steps the SSIS package.

Try it.

Any comments pls.:D

I know how to copy db using export wizard but could you please explain how I can save it as SSIS package?

• [font="Verdana"]Hi,

In the meantime, you can try Copy database wizard for the same.

How to use Copy Database Wizard[/url][/font]

• Thanks for all your inputs !

This copying of back up and then restore on the other server is being carried out manually as a daily activity. Export / Copy database may not help because the servers are in different domains and do not share any common logins.

An FTP task ( SSIS ) would be suitable as per requirement. Can anyone guide me to use FTP task, including enabling FTP on server . Also pls advise on how to compress the backup file, using t-sql commands ( xp_cmdshell).

Thanks !!

• I do this process of copying database over to other server using a nightly backup and restore job. Backup from one server using scheduled job is written direct to other server using a network share. Then a restore job is run on other server. This has been running sucessfully for last 3 years.:)

• Use the attached action plan.

• mani.balaji (7/10/2008)

Use the attached action plan.

Thanks a million mani.balaji:)

• Hey Naresh,

I'm trying to achieve something similar. Can you please guide me in steps I need to take to achieve this. (Including how to define this share)

FYI, The same login works on both the servers.

I have Prod1 Server & a Prod2 Server.

I need to Backup the database db1 from Prod1 to db1 in Prod2.

any help will be appreciated.

• The account running sql agent on prod1 server should have a write permission on the shared folder on the second server.

Create a job which runs backup and write to other server on the share.

create another job on the second server which runs restore of the db.

Hope it helps.

Naresh

• Hi all,

I had a database backup database1.bak in one server and i need to restore it to some other database in a different server.

I dont want to copy the database backup files between the servers.

Can any one suggest a method (using TSQL or SSIS package).

Thanks in advance.

pvsrpk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply