SSIS package migration

• i want to migrate a SSIS package from one server to another..i migrated it by

Right Click on Package and select export.

Then move this .DTSX file to the desired server.

Open SSMS, connect to the integration services.

Expand Sored packages.

Select File System or MSDB As ur wish.

Right click on lets say file system task -> Import Package.

Selet Package location as File sytem-> browse the dtsx file path.

Set the package name and select OK.

Now it is appearing under stored packages...

But i need to edit this package...i need to chane the source & destination

For that i went to SQL Server BUsiness intelligence development studio..... there how can i open my package??????????i am not viewing any thing inside project folder..

can any pls help me on this

• There are a couple other thoughts

1. You don't have to change the connections in the package, you can change them from a SQL Agent Job.

2. You don't have to change the connections in the package, you can change them from a command line.

3. If you are editing the package it is done from the DTSX file in BIDS.

4. You should have a source control system to manage version control.

5. Changing a package to change things that are likely to often change is a questionable methodology. Look at package configurations. Make the package flexible for multiple situations.

CEWII

• 1. You can script the SQL agent jobs to move the jobs by editing the appropriate fields.

2. You do not have to keep the packages in the SQL server but can keep them in the file system. That way they can just be copied like a file. I believe you can do a bulk insert when they stored in SQL server with an object copy.

3. You should definitely be using configuration files with one for each server so the dtsx is identical

4. The dtsx file is what BIDS can edit. Copy it to you local machine, open BIDS and create a Integration Services Project and import the dtsx into that project and you will be able to edit it.

Hope that helps,

Alan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply