SSIS Package Execution in SSMS

• I am trying to execute a package in SSMS, these are the steps i am following; tell me if i am doing any step wrong because i am not able to run the job.

1. Create a SSIS package

2. Open the SSIS connection in SSMS

3. Create a New Folder File System in Stored Procedure

4. Open the data engine and connect to the server

5. Goto SQl Server Agent and create a new job.

This is where the problem arises, since the package is on the local machine; do i use File System as the package source or SQl server ; Both dont work.

Please let me know where i am going wrong.

• This is the error i am getting:

"Unable to cast oject of type 'Microsoft.Sqlserver.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectKey' to type

'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobObjectKey'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

• You should be able to execute your package with the dtexec utility. I usually save mine to SQL server and run the following from a sprock.

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'dtexec /SQL \package_name'

• You need to deploy your package. I find it all works so much better if you set your package up in BIDS/Vis Studio with the correct connections then do File, Save Copy of Package As and save to sql server location (goes into msdb on specified server) with protection level set to Rely on Server Storage for Access Control. Then go to sql agent and set up the job to run the package from sql server storage. The server on which the package is stored does not have to be the same one that runs the sql agent job but it does make life easier for permissions if it is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply