SSIS Package connection manager password not seen in SSMS Catalog configuration

• Melanie Peterson

SSCrazy

I have an SSIS package with a Connection Manager that is connecting to a SQL Server database using SQL credentials, i.e., not Windows Authentication. Save my password is checked. It's been deployed to a SQL Server as a job and is running fine. Now, we have a 3rd party vendor who is trying to interface with our SQL jobs. When we open the configuration window in SSMS's SSIS Catalog and go to this connection manager, the password is empty. Our vendor needs to grab the password. Does anyone know why it's empty, or alternatively, where our vendor can get the password from?

• Jeffrey Williams 3188

SSC Guru

That is by design - the password is stored 'securely' in the catalog, which means the connection manager dialog box will only allow you to overwrite the saved password.

Why would your vendor need to grab a password from an SSIS package?  Either they have permissions to use that SQL account - and therefore have access to the password - or they don't...and if they have that access then they should have the password.

Better yet - whatever permissions they need should be granted to their Windows account(s) through an AD security group (that has been added to SQL Server).

[font="Verdana"]Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs[/url]
    [/font]

• Melanie Peterson

SSCrazy

Yes, I understand completely. The software the vendor is selling allows our systems admins to give network credentials to  no one. We will log into servers using dummy credentials via this software. Now we're trying to do the same thing with SQL credentials and I'm being told that they need to be able to pull this information from the Catalog. I'm going to go back to them and push a bit harder. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply