SSIS oddness

• I have a package that consists of three sequence containers with success connectors. Each holds a number of tasks.

For debugging and testing, I disabled every taskbut one in the first container. This is an SQL task that connects to an SQL server and truncates a table in preparation for the next task, which is a dataflow task to put new data into the table.

When I debug, the container and the task both go yellow and then red. The progress report says that there was a problem making a connection to the database.

After much testing to no avail, I just right-clicked on the task itself and did an "execute task." Now it works fine. I have exactly the same experience with another task within the same container, this one connecting to an Oracle database. If I debug and let the sequence container in on the action, both sql tasks fail to connect. If I just execute each task individually, each works as expected.

So instead of hitting F5 and watching about 18 tasks fire off in proper sequence, I executed each individually with success.

What would be the reason that the task cannot run when fired by the sequence container, but it does run fine when executed directly?

SSIS 2008 R2 Standard Edition ...

Thanks for any ideas regarding this!

Mike

• Containers can have some options that can mess with connections, like transactions, but it doesn't sound like you activated them. Go to the sequence containers and make sure they're set to TransactionOption Supported, and Isolation Level Serializable (that's the defaults).

Otherwise, I've never had similar issues to what you describe. I'd double check your Execution settings on the containers however, and make sure they're all set to False and MaximumErrorCount is 1. Once done, if you continue with problems, set delayValidation to True and see if that cures the issue.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• +1 @Craig regarding "set delayValidation to True"

You will find this setting on nearly every control and I believe on the package level itself

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• Evil Kraig F (11/29/2012)

<snip>

TransactionOption Supported, and Isolation Level Serializable (that's the defaults).

</snip>

Somehow the TransactionOption had got set to "Required" on the first container, but not the others.

Setting it back to "Supported" provided the expected behavior.

Much appreciated!

• Michael Gerholdt (11/30/2012)

Somehow the TransactionOption had got set to "Required" on the first container, but not the others.

Setting it back to "Supported" provided the expected behavior.

Much appreciated!

My pleasure. Sounds like a misclick somewhere along the way then, or something silly happened in the background. Glad that resolved it. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply