SSIS not logging error detail in job history on 64 bit instances

• I have moved some SSIS packages that ran as jobs on 32-bit instances to a 64-bit instance. If there are errors, no information is stored in the job history other than "Executed as user: . The package execution failed. The step failed.". The same exact jobs on 32-bit instances store detailed information in the job history that gave some clue to the actual reason the job failed.

Am I missing some option to turn this on?

I can add logging internally to the SSIS packages, but have never had to do this in the past and would prefer not to if there is some option to force 64-bit sql instances to log the errors either in the job history or the event log.

• They do log the same "detailed" information on a 64 bit server as on a 32 bit server as long as you are running them in 64 bit mode by selecting the SSIS step type and selecting the package through the dialog.

If you run the with the 32 bit runtime by calling out to the command line, the job history gets very little.

I suspect you are getting an error earlier than you had been on your 32 bit system. If something happens in the package validation - like a data provider not being available - the package does not log anything to the job history. Is it possible you have a 32 bit OLEDB provider selected? That's pretty common.

You should turn on package logging anyway. The job history does not get a lot when a package fails. Logging to a table or a file will give you much more detail and not run the risk of something important being truncated from the logged information.

• Thanks for the response:)

I am running the package from within the step as a package. I have setup this job to fail on purpose just to test the error issues I am having. If I load the exact same package onto a 32-bit instance and run it the same way I get the more "detailed" message, this doesn't happen on the 64-bit instance though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply