SSIS not continuing to next step

• Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I'm new to SSIS and am having difficulty with something I'm sure is quite simple/obvious.

I've setup a simple project with two steps, both of which are to transfer sql objects from one database to another.  I've linked the steps hoping that when one completes the other will start, however this does not happen when I test the package, and it just stops after the first step.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Many Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • That should work! Assuming the first task completes successfully, that is.

Can you check the Output window after execution & look for any suspicious messages?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• No, there are no suspicious messages in the output window, which is what I don't understand.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Have a look at the progress pane, rather than the Debug window.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• How did you execute the package? Did you right-click and select 'Execute Task' by any chance?

Also, if you double-click on the precedence constraint (the line between the two tasks), a dialog will be displayed. Can you screen shot that dialog & post it?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I think that the 'Package Execution Completed' text is usually green (not 100% sure) if everything worked as designed. Blue text means something else (not seen this documented anywhere).

• Phil Parkin wrote:

How did you execute the package? Did you right-click and select 'Execute Task' by any chance?

Also, if you double-click on the precedence constraint (the line between the two tasks), a dialog will be displayed. Can you screen shot that dialog & post it?

Looks like that's your crystal ball usage for the week, Phil. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I have never utilized this task - so I am not sure, but could this be a case where there isn't any output from the task so nothing to be sent to the next task?

I know with other tasks that if there isn't any output - the process stops.  For example, a script task that returns a list of files to be processed - if no files found nothing is passed to the next task so it stops at that point.

Does anyone know what the output from the task would be - and how you would utilize that data for the next task?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

I have never utilized this task - so I am not sure, but could this be a case where there isn't any output from the task so nothing to be sent to the next task?

I know with other tasks that if there isn't any output - the process stops.  For example, a script task that returns a list of files to be processed - if no files found nothing is passed to the next task so it stops at that point.

Does anyone know what the output from the task would be - and how you would utilize that data for the next task?

The tasks do not have to produce output and can be unrelated – eg, a series of ExecSQL tasks firing off stored procs. Precendence constraints would still enforce execution order.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply