SSIS merge 2 files with different columns

• Hi

I am trying to create a pipe delimited file with double quoted qualifier. It also needs to include a header and footer row.

The data comes from SQL and outputs like so....

"1"|"Hello"|"a column"|"a person"|"a thing"
    "2"|"Goodbye"|"another column"|"another person"|"another thing"

The header should read : HEADER|YYYYMMDD

The footer should read : FOOTER|YYYYMMDD|2   <-- this is a row count

..so the final file should be...

"HEADER|YYYYMMDD"
    "FOOTER|YYYYMMD|2"

I have tried using union all but it creates blank pipe delimited value for all the unmapped columns in the header/footer data, eg...

"HEADER|YYYYMMDD"|""|""|""|""
    "FOOTER|YYYYMMD|2"|""|""|""|""

Can anyone help me merge the data?

Thanks

• One option would be to write them out as 4 separate files then merge them or write them out with different targets to the same file and the first set to overwrite with the other 3 set to append.  Another option would be to use a single column as the target and do the formatting of the lines manually.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  ZZartin.
  • ZZartin wrote:

One option would be to write them out as 4 separate files then merge them or write them out with different targets to the same file and the first set to overwrite with the other 3 set to append.  Another option would be to use a single column as the target and do the formatting of the lines manually.

+1, these are your options (though only three separate files are required, and 'merge' is not the best description - they need to be concatenated (copy/append))

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi

Thanks for the replies, I ended up with a derived column which concatenated all fields into a single column (with my qualifiers), and union all'd with my header and footer.

🙂

• Hi - we have to do this for one of our extract files - simply use 3 Flat File Connections with the same output file as their destination. Create the 3 Data Flow tasks for each of the levels in your output file so that will output the data in the format you need.

Then un-tick "Overwrite data in the file" in the 2nd and 3rd Flat File Destinations. This will append the data to the file rather than overwrighting it. This is an example of the output we have to produce (Fixed width columns for the data):-

0001010RXC           DBS           0800552019093000000533015984

101                   1944010820010522.                          DUMMY                              DUMMY

990101RXC           DBS           0800552019093000000533015984

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply