SSIS jobs fails but Dtexec works

• Some months ago I created three separate jobs to run three packages one after another. Recently, for no apparent reason, the first job failed. I have a batch file that runs all three jobs through using the utility dtexec.exe so I created a job which runs the batch file. So far this has succeeded every time. SQL Server Agent is a domain user account

I have tried creating credentials/proxies, checking permissions etc etc but no luck so far in making the original job run again. It must be something to do with permissions but I am confused by the fact that the job will run correctly calling the utility but not when using Intregration Services package.

Can anyone shed any light on my darkness?

Madame Artois

• Can you send the complete error you are getting?

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• The error is

'The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 4 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Step 1).'

Not exactly helpful is it?

Madame Artois

• Not at all, you need to see the Job history for the step id other than 0, always the step id 0 is a final summary message about the job, not the actual error that caused the failure.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• The job history says

Executed as user: GMFS\sql_service_account. The package execution failed. The step failed.

Still in the dark!

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson (12/11/2009)

The job history says

Executed as user: GMFS\sql_service_account. The package execution failed. The step failed.

Still in the dark!

You are not looking in the right place. Go to SSMS and select the job that is failing. Right-click and select 'View History' menu. When the window opens select the failed record detail and expand. What is the content in the detail pane?

---

• This is all the details from that record

Date01/12/2009 03:00:03

LogJob History (Update Data)

Step ID1

Server<ServerName>

Job NameUpdate Data

Step NameStep 1

Duration00:01:35

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Madame Artois

• Can't troubleshoot with that info..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• This is not enough. Here is what you have to do. Go to your job and open the properties. Modify your package execution command line to include /REP V to include verbose information from the execution. You may have to switch the job step to OS CmdExec type to be able to modify the command line. Execute again your package and let us know what is the error message.

---

• Is the server 32 or 64 bit?

• sav-457805 (12/11/2009)

Is the server 32 or 64 bit?

Better include what to do if it's 32 bit and what to do if 64 bit.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• It is 32 bit. I will amend but I am at the end of my shift. I will be back in touch on Monday with the results of the test.

Thanks for your help guys. Talk to you soon

Madame Artois

• I did amend the command line as requested. It threw the attached error at me before it would open the screen to let me amend the line. The error message was exactly the same as before; there were no further details in the Job History.

Madame Artois

• Can you show the us the complete command line you have specified?

Did you enter DTEXEC in front ? This is the application executing the package.

---

• Tried again as the file did not seem to have saved the settings. This time I got a different response. I say the same screen shot when trying to access but persevered and got this.

Date14/12/2009 15:09:22

LogJob History (Update IRS Data)

Step ID1

Server<Server Name>

Job NameUpdate IRS Data

Step NameStep 1

Duration00:00:23

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: GMFS\sql_service_account. ...399.06 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 15:09:22 Error: 2009-12-14 15:09:23.09 Code: 0xC001405F Source: Description: Failed to decrypt an encrypted XML node because the password was not specified or not correct. Package load will attempt to continue without the encrypted information. End Error Error: 2009-12-14 15:09:23.12 Code: 0xC001405F Source: Description: Failed to decrypt an encrypted XML node because the password was not specified or not correct. Package load will attempt to continue without the encrypted information. End Error Error: 2009-12-14 15:09:23.27 Code: 0xC001405F Source: Description: Failed to decrypt an encrypted XML node because the password was not specified or not correct. Package load will attempt to continue without the encrypted information. End Error Info: 2009-12-14 15:09:44.70 Code: 0x40... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

The encrypton password seems to have failed; I do know it. How can I re-inforce it whilst it is running in SQL Integration Services?

Madame Artois

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply