SSIS Interview Questions -COMPLEX 1ne

• The MS build-in SCD component is for example not that efficient. It uses the OLE DB Command to perform the updates, which means that if a million rows have to be updated, a million different updates will be issued against the DB, instead of one big update. I'm not a DBA, but I think that is not so good for performance, locking and transactions.

This is true, but the SCD component should only be used for dimensions, and while dimensions can have a million rows, most don't, and even those that do won't need to updated to that extent on a given download. I would say use it except for the unlikely circumstance you describe above.

• Thank u all for your valuable inputs....

Lets jump to another question:

How did you deploy your packages?

In this queston what is suitable as we dont deploy and use manufest ever we put in source safe and from there it goes to TEST/prod environment...

Can someone tell me about deployment checklist... what is it and what does it contain??????

Do we ever deploy or not???

Thanks

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks [/font]

• At my current project I deploy packages I'm developing in a subversion folder to the test environment by simply using the deploying capabilities of BIDS Helper in BIDS.

From test to production we have a script that simply copies the packages from one location (this can be the subversion folder or another) to the MSDB folder in the production SQL Server.

The script constains statements like this:

dtutil /FILE "\\someFolder\Release_x_a_b\SSIS\myPackage.dtsx" /DestServer /TargetServer /COPY SQL;"myFolder\myPackage" /Q

I think there are plenty of ways of deploying, but I'm only familiar with this one.

Regards.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Hi

Thanks ...but is there any way to hide your passwords when you deploy or move your packages from one environment to other..??????

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

• #11 I would disagree with your answer. I don't know at all how Checkpoints can considered expensive. All they are is a simple XML file that the package uses to record its progress and current values of variables. They only exist while a package is running and if a package fails. If the package succeeds, they are totally deleted. For a complex load package that has a long run time they can be a tremendous time saver.

For example, I have a very complex set of parent-chid packages that i use to load 100's of millions of rows of data. My SSIS packages do everything, from FTP, to unzipping several layers of compressed folders, to converting files from Unix to Windows, to loading and processing. If I get a bad file from a vendor, my package will fail (by design). When i resolve the file issue, I am able to restart my package using a checkpoint. I don't have to worry about restarting a 30 hour process from the beginning, or trying to figure out what was done and what wasn't. You are able to essentially nest checkpoints by using them both in parent and child packages.

• Hello friend,

Plz send Answers for those questions you got.and send interview questions on ssis,ssas,ssrs to this mail id siddaiah.k@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

• You should never post your e-mail like that on publicly accessable forums like this one, unless you like receiving spam.

Put it up like this:

myName at myServer dot com

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I'll give my standard answer here.

Memorising questions will not help you in an interview. An experienced interviewer can easily tell the difference between someone who knows the material and someone who's memorised answers.

Relax, don't exaggerate your skills, don't be afraid to say "I don't know"

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • hi cRuchika,

could you send the answers of the above question, and also u send me that you have attended the interviews of the question and answers please send to me my email id is siddaiah.k@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

• GilaMonster (3/10/2010)

I'll give my standard answer here.

Memorising questions will not help you in an interview. An experienced interviewer can easily tell the difference between someone who knows the material and someone who's memorised answers.

You know, Gail, I think it is a losing battle. Looks like a complete erosion of ethics. Whatever it takes to get the job be damned how I do it because I deserve it attitude.

• Lynn Pettis (3/10/2010)

GilaMonster (3/10/2010)

I'll give my standard answer here.

You know, Gail, I think it is a losing battle. Looks like a complete erosion of ethics. Whatever it takes to get the job be damned how I do it because I deserve it attitude.

My 2 bits, I find it interesting that a warning was posted concerning this kind of behavior and yet it was reposted after the fact requesting the very same thing by the very same person.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• siddaiah.k,

I really dont have any specific answers written to all the questions i posted above,

I posted the topic because I wanted to get the answers from all of you as I dont know the answer....

I do agree that it's the Attitude that gets you a job and also your presence of Mind.....Subject knowledge is important when you start the actual Work....

Best of luck to allllllllll...

Please provide some more answers as its very helpful...

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

• cRuchika (3/11/2010)

I posted the topic bcoz I wanted to get the answers from all of you as I dont know the answer....

Please provide some more answers as its very helpful...

Not trying to be a troll here but if you don't know the answers and someone was kind enough to post the BOL links then perhaps they were trying to get you to find the answers yourself instead of expecting people to give them to you.

I do know the answers I would give to many if not all of the questions you posted and I know them because I've used the process and functions they're asking about. If I don't know an answer I'll state it plainly and then go on to explain how I would go about finding the answer.

So read the BOL, look for tutorials and other helpful sites, and try to expand your knowledge of the product and processes. That's going to help you more in the long run than asking for answers to previous interview questions.

And incidentally - using "bcoz" instead of "because" falls into one of my pet peeves. Spell out the words and spell check when you're posting anything in public. If you're trying to be professional then do it consistently. It's the only way to get into the habit. Just my opinion.

• @@MrsPost

And incidentally - using "bcoz" instead of "because" falls into one of my pet peeves. Spell out the words and spell check when you're posting anything in public. If you're trying to be professional then do it consistently. It's the only way to get into the habit. Just my opinion.

I use short form in typing most of the time here, so will type the same way in a flow, anyways i know many cannot understand it...so here we go...

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

• Hi,

I just came accross with one more question regarding lookup to do CDC....

now as I have to do an Insert and an update in the same DFT, what are the chances to getting into a deadlock situation with this.

Just to elaborate the question for who did not understand it, I will use lookup and will redirect the error to go to OLE DB DESTINATION.

and will take the matched records to Conditional split and if anything has changed will update them using OLE db command.

Now UPDATE uses exclusive locks so will this arise any deadlock situation in QA or PROD environment..????

anytime...

Thanks

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks [/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply