SSIS Installation for Visual Studio

• Dear Group:

I have two versions of Visual Studio installed:  VS 2015 and VS 2017 on two different machines.

As such, my question is two fold as each has an issue.

VS 2015:  I am able to create SSIS packages in VS 2015 and I am trying to build a package that works with Excel files.  For some reason, I can only work with *.xls files, but not *.xlsx files as the component for this is not installed.  What do I need to install to be able to work with *.xlsx files in VS 2015?

VS 2017:  I do not have the Business Intelligence option for Integration Services.  What needs to be installed for VS 2017 to allow me to create SSIS packages that can import *.xlsx files?

Any help is appreciated

• To import xlsx files (in both 2015 and 2017), you need to install the ACE drivers. Ideally, you should install both the 32- and 64-bit versions. This link will show you how.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

To import xlsx files (in both 2015 and 2017), you need to install the ACE drivers. Ideally, you should install both the 32- and 64-bit versions. This link will show you how.

You will also need the driver(s) on the server where the packages will be executed.  You might not need both on the server - but I would install both version anyways.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• AMCiti wrote:

VS 2017:  I do not have the Business Intelligence option for Integration Services.  What needs to be installed for VS 2017 to allow me to create SSIS packages that can import *.xlsx files?

Any help is appreciated

There is no business intelligence option for VS 2017.  You need to install SSDT.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-ver15

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply