SSIS in cluster setup

• okay. giving TWONODECLUSTER in <.> would enable me to manage ssis packages regardless of which node is active. Is that correct?

• Yes, as long as you put TWONODECLUSTER in the XML file on Node1 and Node2

• Okay good. But still one niggling doubt. Why did you put 3 SQL instances in your xml instead of VirtualName?

• Because each instance is a virtual name.

I have 4 nodes and 3 SQL instances therefore I need to have 3 names in the XML file.

CH4N1 - Is a node

CH4N2 - Is a node

CH4N3 - Is a node

CH4N4 - Is a node

CH4SQL1\INSTANCE01 - Virtual Name for Instance01

CH4SQL2\INSTANCE02 - Virtual Name for Instance02

CH4SQL3\INSTANCE03 - Virtual Name for Instance03

As CH4SQL1,2,3 can run on any of the nodes, I need to ensure that I have all 3 virtual names in the XML file

• OH.. CH4SQL1\INSTANCE01, CH4SQL2\INSTANCE02, CH4SQL3\INSTANCE03

all these 3 sql's are in same server/node with redundant 3 nodes for High availability?

• Typically

CH4SQL1\INSTANCE01 runs on CH4N1

CH4SQL2\INSTANCE02 runs on CH4N2

CH4SQL3\INSTANCE03 runs on CH4N3

But as this is a fail over cluster, if each of the Virtual Names wasn't in the 4 nodes XML files I wouldnt be able to connect to them if they failed over.

Say I had changed the XML file on CH4N3 to only look at CH4SQL3\INSTANCE03, then CH4SQL3\INSTANCE03 fails to CH4N4 and I tried to connect to SSIS I would get a login failed error as CH4N4 has the <.> file, which is why each node has to have all 3 of the Virtual Names in them so that they can fail over to whatever node and I dont have to keep changing the XML file.

• Thanks much Anthony for the thorough explanation and immediate replies. Appreciate your help.

• Again need a clarification.

If SSIS packages are run from jobs, while setting up job,

Can i give SSIS as the Type in job step. Is this correct?

or should i have to give Operating System(CmdExec) as type and use DTSEXEC command to run SSIS packages?

• You can give it the SSIS job step, as all it does is execute dtsexec behind the scenes it doesnt have any dependency on the SSIS service.

• Thanks again "the ever dependable Anthony"

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply