SSIS from ODBC source using a dynamic sqlcommand

• Does anyone know how I can use a user variable in a sqlcommand in a Datareader source with an ODBC connection as the source?

I am storing a date value in a user variable(Date) I fill with a SQL Task and then want to use the value in the sqlcommand I use in the Datareader Source. It won't let me use the @variablename in the sql command.

Can anyone help with some advice on how I can make this work?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

• You have to use expressions

• Thanks, it works now. I created a select statement in a script task and assigned it to a user variable and then used the variable in the expression.

Appreciate it.

Thank you

• Did you use dataReader??

• How can I build the relationship between expression and DataReader?

• Hi Can you share the exact steps?

I created a variable and assigned it a dynamically SQL query.

Then I used that variable in SQLCommand of DataReader Source Component as @[User::Query]

But now I dont see any output columns? How do I map those to my OLE DB Destinataion?

Thank you

Siddharth

• Initialize your variable with a dummy SELECT statement at design time. The result should reflect the output structure (data types and column names) of your final query result.

Ex.: SELECT CAST(1 AS INT) AS Column1, CAST('' AS VARCHAR(50)) AS Column2

• I would appreciate more details. I have tried to use a variable both in a sql statement in the sqlcommand property and even created an entire sql statement within an expression. Errors out every time. Tried parens vs brackets vs neither.

I would like to make sure the :: is simply the colon typed twice. If not, what is it?

If so, need further assistance.

My end state is to create a statement with a more flexible date structure. Currently I use current_date-1, but if a day goes by w/o it running, I have some hoops to jump through to get some items straight.

Thanks,

• RonKyle (1/12/2010)

I would appreciate more details. I have tried to use a variable both in a sql statement in the sqlcommand property and even created an entire sql statement within an expression. Errors out every time. Tried parens vs brackets vs neither.

I would like to make sure the :: is simply the colon typed twice. If not, what is it?

If so, need further assistance.

My end state is to create a statement with a more flexible date structure. Currently I use current_date-1, but if a day goes by w/o it running, I have some hoops to jump through to get some items straight.

Thanks,

:: is just two consecutive colons, confirmed.

Can you give an example of your erroneous SQL Statement, which property you assigned it to and what error you received please?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I solved this. I had to edit the expression from the data flow overall icon (the one you see when you are looking at the package). I had done all my editing within the datapump, and the sqlcommand value, while there, can't be edited as an expression there (which I think it should).

Once found, I took the "failed" work from before and it worked fine.

• Bravo!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I figured it out just like metioned earlier. Take a look at this link http://lukehayler.com/2010/03/setting-the-sql-command-property-using-expressions-in-ssis-2005/

The trick is that even though you are using the data reader data flow transformation, you can modify the data reader data flow transformation sql command in the PARENT of it --what I mean is you have to look to the data flow task that is in the control flow tab.

This is not intuitive but what you do is go to the control flow task, NOT the data reader itself. Look at the properties of the data flow task, there will be an [...] next to the "Expressions" property. This is where can set the data reader source sql command property.

It is totally non-intuitive because you have to go to the PARENT, not the child to set this property.

• jarmstrong-537702 - Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:59 PM

Does anyone know how I can use a user variable in a sqlcommand in a Datareader source with an ODBC connection as the source?I am storing a date value in a user variable(Date) I fill with a SQL Task and then want to use the value in the sqlcommand I use in the Datareader Source. It won't let me use the @variablename in the sql command.Can anyone help with some advice on how I can make this work?Appreciate any help I can get.Thank you

this video may help you 

SSIS Dynamic SQL Command

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply