SSIS for Staging VERY LARGE Table Loads

• JustMarie (1/12/2016)

Letron Brantley (1/12/2016)

JustMarie (1/11/2016)

To address the situation of gap fill or other re-run situations I use a parameter table.

One package to populate the parameters.

One package to pick up the parameters and perform the source data extract.

It seems like extra work to separate those out but stick with me.

I also have a stored procedure that lets me manually set a parameter value. So for a gap fill I can set the parameters I want and let 'er rip.

"But what about that 'get parameters' package? Won't it overwrite the ones you set manually?"

Business logic my friend. The stored procedure updates a 'manual' flag field and the package has constraints with expressions so if there's a manual parameter it skips that part. And the extract will set the flag back to 0 after it completes.

A gap fill is easy enough that way. Run the stored procedures to get your date then run the job again.

Thanks! Yeah we are actually working on a similar utility that we can schedule on a daily basis to fill the gaps if they happen. Hopefully we can avoid them if we do what Phil suggests and use the max date from the target which is actually a DW common practice. Sometimes common sense can escape me :o)

Letron

The base package to get parameters does go into the source and find the date of the most recent records. So it runs to keep things going. But when they need something special this is a way to get it done with a minimum of fuss for us and the DBAs.

I take it you meant 'target' rather than 'source'?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I take it you meant 'target' rather than 'source'?

Yeah. Target. I was kind of watching a few processes when I wrote that. Thanks for the catch.

Get the 'start time/value' from the destination-target and use that to pull from the source.

Need caffeine...

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply