SSIS File System Deployments

• I created a package that utilizes environment variables in the configuration manager to toggle between IT, UAT, and PROD and using parameterized connections. When I execute the package in Visual Studio it does what I need it to in terms of referencing the UAT server when I choose UAT configuration and same goes for IT and PROD. Most of what I followed to do this can be found here https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4810/setup-environment-variables-in-sql-server-integration-services/. The trouble I'm running into is that I'm not deploying to the SSIS catalog but rather a file system so a couple of questions come to mind. First with deployment - when I look at the location where the package is stored on my local I see a bunch of files in there: .dtproj, .dtsx, .conmfg, .params, bin folder, obj folder. Am I simply overwriting the production location with everything that is currently in my local copy or should I be deploying a different way? Also, how can I make sure each environment correctly sets the variable so it knows what server to use?

• I have to ask - why are you not deploying to a catalog?  That would solve all of your questions and issues.

If you must deploy to the file system, then you need to change the deployment model in VS - switching from project deployment to package deployment.  Then, you need to setup and utilize a configuration for the package - generally that is a configuration file but could also be done using a table source.

Once you have that tested and working - you can build the package(s).  Deployment only requires the dtsx and configuration file - as far as I recall and can be done with a simple copy/paste to the desired server location.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Unfortunately I need to deploy to the file system for this particular project. I think switching from project deployment to package deployment was the missing link I needed. I started building out a config file for a package, and still have some work to do, but will each package need its own config file?

• RonMexico wrote:

Unfortunately I need to deploy to the file system for this particular project. I think switching from project deployment to package deployment was the missing link I needed. I started building out a config file for a package, and still have some work to do, but will each package need its own config file?

I don't think each package necessarily needs a separate config file - I think they can be shared.  But then again, it has been a long time since I have deployed to the file system.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply