SSIS - Execute Package Task

• Can someone write a basic article that explains how the Execute Package is used to run a child package or string together multiple packages in SSIS. Please include screen shots of the configuration and explain the options that are possible.

• I can take this topic.

• Is this article live on SSC?

Raunak J

• Well, the pinned post said the topic would be assigned to me, which never happened.

Do you have a particular problem with the exec package task I can help with? If so, suggest raising in the main forum and posting a link here.

• Sorry, SQLSophist, this slipped through the cracks.

Please take it if you want.

How about two child packages that do

- load a simple file (assume an Excel file, simple format, same name, just a data transform load)

- send an email that a load was completed.

Those could be tasks, but for the sake of this article, make them separate packages. Then show a parent package that executes these two in that order. Explain how any parameters/configs with the child execution are handled. If you want, include a "we only execute #2 if #1 succeeds"

• OK, great. I've been away watching cricket since your post, but back in the "SQL Saddle" now.

Will put something together this week.

• No hurry. We're 4-6 weeks out on publishing now.

• Fine, noted.

• If you're still looking for articles for this topic, I'd like to take a stab at it.  Can you assign this to me?

• tychopotts - Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:21 AM

If you're still looking for articles for this topic, I'd like to take a stab at it.  Can you assign this to me?

Take it. I don't see one in the list.

• Thanks for the opportunity.  I've submitted my draft for review.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply