SSIS Execute Package taks - cryptographic error

• Hi all,

After developing and deploying a package, I keep find that when I re-open the package, I get the following error for several packages that call another package, using the Execute Package.

Does anyone know why it's breaking and how I can fix it (other than re-entering passwords in all my packages!)

Error1

Error loading LoadGroup-Facts-Daily.dtsx:

Failed to decrypt protected XML node "PackagePassword" with error 0x8009000B "Key not valid for use in specified state.".

You may not be authorized to access this information. This error occurs when there is a cryptographic error. Verify that the correct key is available.

h:\visual studio 2005\projects\ssct_dw_project\ssct_dw_project\LoadGroup-Facts-Daily.dtsx11

I should probably add - the called packages are located in the local server SSIS MSDB

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• There is a package property in the security section called "ProtectionLevel". By default, the value is "EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey". This will encrypt the "sensitive" information in the xml. Sensitive is basically passwords for connection strings (it includes a few things, look it up in BOL). The user key part of the option means that only the NT Login that saved the package will be able to be used to decrypt this information.

You can change this to "DontSaveSensitive" and you will not get cryptographic errors. If you are storing these passwords in package configurations, or filling them in through variables or something, the cryptographic errors do not mean anything but a password you are not using cannot be decrypted (no big deal). If you are using NT authentication for all of your connections, you can still get this error, but it again does not mean anything.

I suggest you look up the property in books online or check google.

• hi thanks for the reply.

I think I should maybe have posted more detail. I am aware of the different package security levels.

What I have done is set the called package (Package A) to save sensitive with password and specified the password.

once that package (Package A) is imported to SSIS MSDB, the calling package (Package B) is setup to use Execute Package task, specifying the package password, set up in Package A.

The problem I have is that if I try to build the whole SSIS project to create a deployment manifest, it raises the cryptographic errors and doesn't produce the deployment manifest. - So its causing me a real headache.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply