SSIS derived column replace with

• I am using the Transformation editor in BIDS 2005 to change a column Division buyer when column division code is equal to different values.

When Column Division code = Null, Column: Division buyer = Starcom - Non Tech

When Column Division code = MV, Column: Divsion buyer = Mediavest

When Column Division code = SP, Column: Division buyer = Starcom - P&G

I have written this but it doesn't work, can anyone help?

Division Buyer, Replace Division Buyer,

([DivisionCode]==MV?[Mediavest]: ([DivisionCode]==SC?[Starcom - Non Tech]:[DivisionCode]==SP?[Starcom - P&G]:[DivisionCode]==ST?[Starcom - Tech]:[Starcom - Non Tech]))

This much simpler code also doesn't work,

Division Buyer, Replace Division Buyer, ISNULL(DivisionCode)?"Starcom - Non Tech" : DivisionCode

• I worked it out, the problem was the string were delceared as variables.

This works,

([DivisionCode]=="MV"?"Mediavest":([DivisionCode]=="SC"?"Starcom - Non Tech":[DivisionCode]=="SP"?"Starcom - P&G":[DivisionCode]=="ST"?"Starcom - Tech":"Starcom - Non Tech"))

• Although you may have solved this problem in the short term, you may be storing up problems for yourself in the medium term. If two or three more code/description pairs get added, your nested-if expression turns into an unreadable cypher.

To avoid this and get a performance boost at the same time, consider creating a physical table which contains all the mappings

Code Description

MV Mediavest

etc etc

Then, use a query for the selection your source data which joins to this new table. Then you have all your codes expanded easily, regardless of how many there are or how frequently they are updated.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply