SSIS deployment

• Hi there,

I am noodling with a package to see how it all works, and have a build done on dev for SQL config and understand I need to copy files to prod server, but to what folder?? dir structure not same as on my dev pc and have not found that one little detail on what specific directory to copy to!

TIA.

• herladygeekedness (1/18/2011)

Hi there,

I am noodling with a package to see how it all works, and have a build done on dev for SQL config and understand I need to copy files to prod server, but to what folder?? dir structure not same as on my dev pc and have not found that one little detail on what specific directory to copy to!

TIA.

You dictate the file's storage location when you import it. It's not a static directory.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• You can also store it in SQL Server..

CEWII

• I did opt to make it SQL storage on prod server. No funky config, just trying to see how this works.

Accessing Prod, I don't see it in the packages but it did register in msdb.

Assuming maybe I'm not looking the right place, I went to schedule a job for it, and, no, it's not in Packages there.

For teh build, I kept default pathing in the bin folder so I can get the files, but, choosing which bin directory on prod ... if I really have to copy files ... which didn't make sense for storing in SQL, but, can't figure why else it doesn't show?

Sorry, SSIS is brand new to me.

• On the SSIS server you don't see your package listed under Stored Packages|MSDB or any directory under that?

If not then I would say it isn't in MSDB. You can store them anywhere on the file system for use by SQL Agent, however I believe that SSIS wants them in one of two locations, either in MSDB or in the File System which is bascially at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Packages

SSIS package will not appear really anywhere when connected to the SQL Server. You can see them when trying to select them for a SQL agent job but nowhere else.

I'm not sure exactly where you are looking for them..

CEWII

• That's where I'm looking, stored packages, prod server.

Alright, will assume it simply didn't work. And will re-read where I thought it said that even for SQL storage, files have to be copied.

Thank you!

• For MSDB storage the files get sucked into MSDB and nothing is needed in the file system unless the packages themselves use something there..

CEWII

• Which makes sense to me! Prob'ly what I read was all about using file system.

Still not sure why it doesn't show under packages or when I try to schedule it, but, maybe I'll figure that out with a few more builds...

Thanks so much!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply