SSIS - create Connection Manager at runtime, conditionally

• I want to create an SSIS pkg that

• tests for existence of Excel file
    • Then

• If file exists, do stuff, then delete file
      • If file doesn't exist, do nothing

Problem is that if I have a connection manager that expects that file, the SSIS pkg throws an error at runtime, at startup.

I will run this as scheduled task and have considered breaking out the file detect to a first step, but then would still need to be kludgy to make failure happen.

Another option is detect file in a C# project and if exists, call the SSIS pkg from there, then delete the file.

Any thoughts on best way to do this?

• There's are a couple of tricks to get round these problems.

• Put your dataflow inside a FOREACH container, with the enumerator is set to 'File' and the 'Enumerator Config' pointing to the file you wish to process.

The dataflow will execute only if that file is found. If not, the package completes (successfully) without doing anything inside the container.

• To prevent the validation error, set the Connection Manager's 'Delay Validation' property to True.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Beautiful, thanks.

Note: In addition to your directions, I also had to set "Delay Validation" to true for the pipeline object that led to the Destination object.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply