SSIS Config Files vs Config Tables

• I have recently run into multiple solutions where they are using Configuration Tables to store Config parameters instead of Configuration Files. I'm a little leery to continue using the table approach. We don't have SSISDB, so that's not an option. What are your thoughts on using the table vs file approach? I've always used the files in deployment. When I met with Production support, they said it was easier to change in a table, which concerns me because they can just go in and make changes at will, if needed.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Mike01.

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Either works - I guess...but then again I have SSISDB and that has changed a whole lot of the requirements for config files/tables.  In fact - moving to a project based deployment model has allowed me to create much simpler packages grouped in a single project - instead of single packages with tons of variables to handle multiple different scenarios.

Okay - as to your concern, why would some who *should* have access to change the config files not have access to change the data in a table?  Or...why give someone access to change the data (or even view the data) in a table when they should not have that access?

I really cannot remember - but I believe password fields are encrypted in either method, so you are not exposing that data, but I could be wrong.  That would be the only concern I have - but that is also controllable.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Philosophical choice. I haven't done this, but the table change could be tracked in multiple ways. So could the file, if oyu have it in a VCS and deployed from there.

The prod people can change either one easily, so I'd get over that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply