SSIS Column Export

• BWFC, I hear you, and I'll think on it. It's not easy to taking a learning moment like the one I experienced and try to turn it into an interesting question, and probably sometimes I try too hard to recreate the moment instead of the final lesson. How could I present that same idea differently? I'll think on that too!

Overall the QOTD is a pretty good mix of styles and skill levels, and I hope it evens out for you (and everyone else) across the weeks. There's no doubt I'm pushing the envelope at times, in particular to try to push past pure test taking skills. I look at this question and don't envy anyone thinking "hmm, unicode" as logical, obvious, and then thinking why?!

I think I'm also formed by my time in a call center long ago, where I had to listen to the problem and not see it - no screen sharing back then:-)

Thanks for giving it a try and sending the feedback. Can't guarantee I'll make huge changes, but I am trying to evolve my skills as I go, we'll see how it works out.

• Thanks Andy for question. Never used it that way.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

• Thanks for your reply Andy. I can imagine how difficult it is to create a question from an interesting situation and make it answerable without giving too much away. I suppose even the questions where the answer is, for me at least, essentially a guess, could lead to the 'I saw something like that before' moment when faced with a real life problem. I can also identify with the call centre situation, it is certainly much easier to solve a problem when you can walk across the office and look at it.

The questions have definitely evened out and I'm getting more right than I am wrong nowadays. I've also started going back through the archives and answering those from my early days on here and before. There's a good mix of levels in general and as somebody who works mainly on the BI side and does very little in the way of maintenance, they're a good way of finding out how things work. As I said earlier, I may not know the answer but I might remember the situation.

I could, of course, put my head above the parapet myself one day...

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC, I can tell you it's been a lot of fun writing them. Not all go well and I learn, and try to remember to listen and not get defensive. As a learning experience it's hard to beat, you get quality feedback here in the forums plus the scores on how people did, more feedback than you get on most any other kind of writing. I'm trying to write a sequence of questions now that will span a week, early thoughts at http://sqlandy.com/2014/07/project-moriarty/.

Andy

• Interesting question. I have never run into this. I am curious if I will see this at some point in a project requirement.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason, there is also the corresponding import column, so overall they make it pretty easy to import/export blobs.

• Andy Warren (7/10/2014)

Jason, there is also the corresponding import column, so overall they make it pretty easy to import/export blobs.

I might someday have to try that. It could potentially simplify some things I have seen done.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Andy Warren (7/10/2014)

BWFC, I can tell you it's been a lot of fun writing them. Not all go well and I learn, and try to remember to listen and not get defensive. As a learning experience it's hard to beat, you get quality feedback here in the forums plus the scores on how people did, more feedback than you get on most any other kind of writing. I'm trying to write a sequence of questions now that will span a week, early thoughts at http://sqlandy.com/2014/07/project-moriarty/.

Andy

I'll look forward to that with interest. There must be countless situations where your actions at one step will directly affect what happens further through the process. Just one thing, please try and keep the outright assumptions to a minimum 😉

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• FOLLOW-Up Question..

Are there any other objects that could be used in this situation?

• BWFC, no promises, but I'll try to keep in within bounds!

• Budd, for exporting a blob? The next way I can think of is moving to .Net. You'd retrieve the dataset, then write the blob column to disk as a stream (though maybe there is a helper method that will do it more directly).

• robertjtjones (7/9/2014)

Never come across this before - thanks

Neither do I 🙂

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Interesting question.

It's fairly straightforward provided one eliminates the obviously wrong options rather than looking for an obviously right one - I've never used this transform (SSIS is not my cup of tea) but it's obvious that the transform needs something (a filename which includes the full path) to tell it where to put each image and in Windows systems such filnames are strings, not necessarily unicode ones. The idea that the trasform requires the two columns (name and content) to be in a specific physical order is so unlikely that it can safely be dismissed, unicode is not required for windows filenames, the destination for an image is the file designated by the file path not anything to do with OLEDB, as that's required it can't be optional, and a transform called "export column" iwould be called something else if it were not intended to export a column, so it isn't the wrong tool for the job. That leaves only one option, which can't be eliminated because the filepath does have to be a string or windows won't recognize it, so that option must be the right answer.

Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply