SSIS and Visual Studio shell - develop without a compiler?

• When you install SQL Server 2005 (SS5) and Visual Studio 2005 (VS5) on the same server you actually do your SSIS (integration services) and SSRS (reporting services) development in VS5 working against the services in the database.  This worked fine, as far as it worked, for the April CTP (Beta) software; but the June SS5 was not co-joined with a version of VS5.  This may have been that they simply did not use the same version of the beta 2.0 framework; but whatever the cause, the recommendation was that the newer CTPs be installed on separate hosts.

After rather extensive cleanup and several failed attempts we have the software loaded on separate machines.  The VS5 is running on XP and the SS5 is running on AS 2003.  When you do not have the full VS5 product installed on the SS5 host you are given a shell to access the services.  There were approximately 18 warnings in the application event log that said the templates were "out of date" with some feeble instructions as to how (someday maybe) to install them.  The instructions don't seem to work - remember, this is beta software.

The shell on the SS5 box allows you to build projects; but does not allow you to re-build, compile, test or deploy them.  For that you need the full product.  The full product's IDE does not have the templates for SSIS and SSRS.  There are three package load failures when you start up the IDE: ReportDesigner, Data Warehouse Integration layer, and Data Transformation Service Designer.  Again, instructions as to how to correct the failure (which don't work).

So, it seems that we are to build solutions on the SS5 box and pass them to the VS5 box to compile, test and deploy.  Alternatively I am told that they can be shipped to MSBuild; but any way you look at it, it seems that we will have to ship them somewhere in order to finish them.

This seems way too messy to me.

I have not figured out the logistics yet; but if anyone here has had this experience I'd like to hear what you did to solve it.  At the moment I am all ears

Thanks!

Cheers,

david russell

• Is there a question in there? I'm not sure what it is you're asking. If you have Whidbey installed, you'll be able to load your BI projects in the same space with your C# and VB projects.

So, not sure what the issue is.

K

• Whidbey is the code name for VS products from Beta 2 to RTM (Release to Manufactures).  My issues are version specific and deal with components that were not developed or released "co-joined".  There was no "question" there, only a plea for input from anyone experiencing the same symptoms.

Obviously since C#, VB, SSIS and SSRS solutions are all created in the Visual Studio environment THEY can share the same space; but the environments does not setup to allow you to debug, test and/or deploy them - at least not smoothly or intuitively.

It doesn't seem that you are having the same problem.  You're lucky!

Thanks for your response though - I do appreciate the effort.

Cheers,

david russell

• Whidbey is the code name for VS products from Beta 2 to RTM (Release to Manufactures). 

Yeah, I think I was aware of that.

My issues are version specific and deal with components that were not developed or released "co-joined".

I'm not sure what co-joined means, but Whidbey and Yukon were developed simultaneously with interdependencies.

but the environments does not setup to allow you to debug, test and/or deploy them - at least not smoothly or intuitively.

Uhm, but it does. You must have the compilers and the BI tools installed on the machine where you wish to do these functions however.

What I'm trying to find out is what problems exactly you're facing. From the description, it seems you're having problems running packages on machines where only VS is installed, yes? That simply won't work. You must have the binaries installed. The same is true for C# or VB code. There is no compiler component that ships with SQL Server.

Universe.Earth.Software.Microsoft.SQLServer.IS.KirkHaselden

• Of course you are aware of that; but this is an open forum and there are others reading these posts.  I had to Google it to find out; but I am not a Yukon developer either.  Geez!  I just thanked someone at Microsoft for the two cleanup tools that fixed one of my problems and mentioned that the BI Products templates for SSIS and SSRS were not present in my Visual Studio (August) installation and got the response that "I'm afraid I'm not sure what SSIS and SSRS stand for, what kind of projects are those?"  It must be that there are just too many acronyms and code names for everyone to keep up

I am just a poor contractor trying to make a living off beta Microsoft products: perhaps not a real intelligent idea, it seems.  According to Bill Vaughn (of Hitchhiker’s Guides fame, author, CEO, former Microsoft employee, etc.) the April releases of both were the last two that could be used together on the same host until "September or later".

I do think that both SSIS and SSRS have promise though.  The biggest problem over the years has been in giving the data to the users.  You can take a list of a dozen reports the customer "absolutely, positively has to have" and by the time you code and test them the list will be completely different.

So, populating a star schema that they can understand and giving them tools to get the data themselves is a monumental feat - if it can be done economically.

In the meantime, I am missing a couple of templates and that is holding up progress.

Question:  Do you know how to make these templates appear in Visual Studio (full product) on host where SQL Server is not installed?

Cheers,

david russell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply