SSIS 2012 - Versioning

• L' Eomot Inversé (6/4/2012)

The catalog.packages view holds version_minor, version_major, and version_build for each package, which seems to make packages pretty well versioned. It also holds version_comments with comments for a specific version of the package, and version_guid which is a globally unique identifier for the specific version of the package. In addition it holds package_format_version to tell us whether this is a version used for SQL2005, SQL2008, or SQL 2012. So I don't believe the idea that packages are not versioned in SSISDB holds water.

Environments are apparently not versioned.

Projects are versioned, albeit in a pretty limited manner; the catalog.projects view holds version_lsn and project_format_version, no major/minor version (also no build version, but that's probably irrelevant for a project).

The SSISDB database clearly has versioning for two of the three objects mentioned.

None of the offered answers appears to be correct.

If the question had been "which object types are versioned in the SSISDB catalog view catalog.object_version" the "correct" answer would actually have been correct, but the question was something very different and the correct answer was wrong.

The major/minor version are properties from Visual Studio if I'm not mistaken.

So it's not the SSISDB that performs the versioning, but you yourself in Visual Studio. Also, you don't have the ability to go into the SSIS catalog and say "give me the previous major version of this package". You can only do that in Visual Studio if you have source control set up.

The build number is a number that is incremented every time you save a package in SSDT/BIDS. This was already the case for SSIS 2005/08 and this property was in the previous versions also saved to SSIS, but again, aside from watching it's value, you could do nothing with it.

Projects however, are versioned inside the SSIS catalog and you can perform actions on it.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (6/4/2012)

So it's not the SSISDB that performs the versioning, but you yourself in Visual Studio. Also, you don't have the ability to go into the SSIS catalog and say "give me the previous major version of this package". You can only do that in Visual Studio if you have source control set up.

The build number is a number that is incremented every time you save a package in SSDT/BIDS. This was already the case for SSIS 2005/08 and this property was in the previous versions also saved to SSIS, but again, aside from watching it's value, you could do nothing with it.

Projects however, are versioned inside the SSIS catalog and you can perform actions on it.

I guess we disagree on what "versioned" means - to me it's just "including version information". Of course creating that information is a useful function but that didn't appear to be the subject of the question you were asking. But you apparently think that "versioned" is the past participle of a verb "to version" which means creating that information and were asking whether the SSISDB catalog undertook that action (of course your use of "in" instead of "by" appears to me to preclude that meaning for the question even if there were such a verb - but there isn't in English, maybe American is different - since "in" doesn't introduce an agent in English; again, maybe American is different and can introduce agents with "in"). So I sympathise with tilew-948340's comment about there being no verb "to version" in French (although I happily translate "versioned release" as "sortie suivie") since I think there is no such verb in English either - and online Collins and Chambers agree.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (6/5/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (6/4/2012)

I guess we disagree on what "versioned" means - to me it's just "including version information". Of course creating that information is a useful function but that didn't appear to be the subject of the question you were asking. But you apparently think that "versioned" is the past participle of a verb "to version" which means creating that information and were asking whether the SSISDB catalog undertook that action (of course your use of "in" instead of "by" appears to me to preclude that meaning for the question even if there were such a verb - but there isn't in English, maybe American is different - since "in" doesn't introduce an agent in English; again, maybe American is different and can introduce agents with "in"). So I sympathise with tilew-948340's comment about there being no verb "to version" in French (although I happily translate "versioned release" as "sortie suivie") since I think there is no such verb in English either - and online Collins and Chambers agree.

There isn't a "to version" in English? :w00t:

I'm not a native English speaker, so grammatical slip-ups are always possible, and I agree that using "by" instead of "in" was maybe a bit more clearer.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (6/5/2012)

There isn't a "to version" in English? :w00t:

The trouble with English is that it's in a constant state of flux; and it's quite easy to form verbs from nouns and vice versa. So although that verb isn't in the main dictionaries (that's English dics - I haven't checked American ones) it may exist and be used by some people. If so it's very new; most people would have to guess the meaning if they heard it, and there are several possible meanings (although context might help).

I suppose there might also be a verb "to many-hue", since there is a word ("many-hued") that looks as if it might be a past participle; but then someone might ask whether "The roses in my garden are many-hued" means "My garden many-hues roses" or "The roses in my garden have been many-hued (by someone or something not specified - perhaps by the soldiers, if it was said to Alice by the Queen)".

Tom

• thanks for the question - cheers

• Got this one wrong, but then I never use SSIS, so no real surprises there.

• Straight forward question!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply