SSIS 2012 - Row Size error message

• Hi,

I need to add an additional column to an existing data pull from a cloud data source (the provider has an Oracle backend with its own driver) so I'm using an ODBC source. When I added the column I got this error message "Cannot create a row of size nnnn which is greater than the allowable maximum row size of 8060." I thought this was a weird message as the column I was adding was only 1 character wide (2 bytes as it was a NVARCHAR data type).

I've tried changing my destination table field lengths, changing my source query field lengths, went from a bulk insert to a SQL Command OLE DB to do a row-by-row insert (of which not a single row inserted), and many other variations with all ending with the same error message. The only different was the row size on the error message.

I finally reverted my staging database back to match production and pulled the original SSIS package from production. Ran and got the same error message (it's working fine in production).

I was able to run a query using a linked server and the max Data Length for a row of the data I'm pulling is 396 bytes, well under the maximum row size. I also output the data to a text file, opened in Notepad++ and couldn't find any strange characters in the output.

Anyone run into something like this before?

Thanks.

• Hi

I'm not sure that I undestood your post, Imho if it is only 1 character wide, please set NCHAR (or even CHAR for non-unicode) instead of NVARCHAR, it needs 2 extra bytes of storage to store the information about the actual length of the value.

Br.

Mike

• I mistyped, I added it as a NCHAR(1) data type.

I feel like the metadata or package itself got corrupted or some such. I had dropped and recreated all the tasks and kept getting the same error. I ended up recreating the package from scratch and everything now works fine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply