SSIS 2012 - Parameter Precedence

• Nice interesting question. Keep the 2012 stuff coming.

I answered it (correctly) on the basis of common sense (that works quite a lot for SQL server, perhaps more with each new release; pity they couldn't do that with certaiin other products) rather than knowing the answer.

But I didn't previously know that parameters for SSIS packages had been introduced in the latest version so the question taught me that before I even started to think about the answer.

Working out which of the 5 options were irrelevant (it had to be either none or the just environment variable, since the option involving the "required" status of the parameter was clearly contrary to common sense - in fact in my view contrary to sanity, and it seemed common sense to specify a default at design time and to allow a server default to be set too while not having a run-time option would be strange, to say the least) was a bit harder than working out which was the right answer, but not needed to get the answer right unless MS had done something very strange. I guessed that none of the options (other than the one requiring insanity) was irrelevant and discovered when I followed up the link in the explanation that I had guessed that wrong, there are only three ways of determininging a parameter not four, so I learnt something from the explanation and reference too. So for me it was a very good question.

Tom

• Everyone thanks for the great feedback.

There is another SSIS 2012 question in the pipeline for this month, and I'll do my best to think of some new ones.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Good question. Keep coming more of this stuff.

--- Babu

• Nice question, thank you

Iulian

• Great question... really digs down into the bowels of the new 2012 interface. Maybe I should rephrase it as an EXCELLENT question.

Jamie

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply