SSIS 101: Isolating Data in a Data Flow

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SSIS 101: Isolating Data in a Data Flow

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Hi Andy,

Nice article but afraid I lost you along the way. You know, where you started with the Union All's and the rest, I still have the red error mark on my ContactStage but don't see where you handled that part. Excuse me if I am silly or stupid but can you help me out here please. I am busy training myself in SSIS and your aticle came on the right time.:hehe::hehe:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Nice article Andy. I've never used the multicast task and didn't have an idea why I'd use it, but this is a good way use for it in my situation. I've always edited my source query with a where clause to check out problematic or specific rows.

This is another tool in the toolbox. Thanks.

• Here is where Andy tells how to correct the target information:

This scenario occurs with enough frequency to justify the Restore Invalid Column References Editor, shown above. The ContactID column with Lineage ID 32 is shown as invalid, but the References Editor located (and suggests) a column with the same name and data type: the ContactID column with Lineage ID 333. In fact, it’s located new columns for all the invalid references (although the error did not report these additional columns).

Click OK to replace the invalid references with the suggested columns

You have several options in the Restore Invalid Column References Editor. One of them is to let the editor try to restore the invalid links but I usually highlight all of the rows listed and click on the delete invalid rows option and hit "Apply" (there is no OK button). This will close the editor and remove the invalid references. When you reopen the target again everything should fix itself and you are on your way.

• Nice article Andy, I never really understood what the data viewers were. I sure wish I'd had this information a year ago...

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Great article. I too am having to do more and more work with SSIS and, naturally, don't have time/budget to go on training πŸ™ hence learning about the tools described here is very helpful.

Thanks.

Derek

• I like the Data Probe idea. That will come in handy for sure.

Thanks,

Burke

[font="Arial Narrow"]bc[/font]

• Hi Andy,

Great intro article on SSIS! I've been working with it for over two years, but had never tried anything similar to your "data probe" technique. It makes perfect sense.

One thing I saw in this article that's a little different is the Multicast as sort of a dummy endpoint. I've often seen a Rowcount as a dummy endpoint but never a multicast. Does the endpoint actually do anything in either case in this type of scenario?

Cheers,

-Matthew

• mcloney (2/11/2009)

Hi Andy,

Great intro article on SSIS! I've been working with it for over two years, but had never tried anything similar to your "data probe" technique. It makes perfect sense.

One thing I saw in this article that's a little different is the Multicast as sort of a dummy endpoint. I've often seen a Rowcount as a dummy endpoint but never a multicast. Does the endpoint actually do anything in either case in this type of scenario?

Cheers,

-Matthew

I actually use the konesans trash destination when I need a dummy end point.

• Thanks for all the comments!

Matthew - Like Jack, I usually use the Konesans Trash Destination for an endpoint as well. I didn't mention it here. I also use the Script Component and the Derived Column transformations as dummy endpoints for data flow paths - basically anything that will succeed without configuration will do.

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply