SSAS Tabular sample project: failing to process Internet Sales?

• I loaded the "Adventure Works DW Tabular SQL 2012 RC0" solution and managed to deploy the metadata to me "development" instance but 2 of the many tables won't process: "Internet Sales" and "Reseller Sales" fail with an error message "memory error: Allocation failure : Not enough storage is available to process this command. . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine."

I am using a virtual machine running Windows 7 with 3.5Gbs allocated (I allocated 4.5Gbs but it only sees 3.5).

I find it weird to fail on memory since the AdventureWorksDWDenali database is less than 200Mbs...

Any idea?

• Maybe SSAS gets only a really small portion of your 3.5GB?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I have tried to reduce the number of rows in the datasource, stop whatever services I did not need, etc

But I still get the error and there seems to be lots of memory available...

I am preparing a virtual box with 64 bits Windows instead of 32bits hoping that it won't happen then. I suppose most people use/test SQL 2012 on 64 bits system so I might get less trouble that way.

• I suspect this is a Virtual Address Space issue. The Tabular Model sounds like it's built on a similar premise to PowerPivot and this is limited to 2GB of address space on 32-bit environments. Even though the original database is small, if it has a lot of high cardinality columns, it can need lots of address space to work with during processing.

When I first tried PowerPivot on 32-bit windows, I found it baulked at even relatively small datasets.

• I have since tried on 64 bits and did not get the problem...

Yep, I'll assume it did not like 32 bits.

However, if it dies with relatively little data and a theoritical max of 2Gbs, that looks a bit worrying...

• I think given the nature of the product, they're pretty much assuming everyone will be using a 64-bit O/S with it.

Remember, Virtual Address Space and RAM are two different things and just because it needs >2GB of address space doesn't mean it needs >2GB RAM as the data is highly compressed. It just needs to be able to address (map) all the data in it's uncompressed form.

The VAS for user space on 64-bit Windows is 8 Terabytes (8096GB)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply