SSAS: How can I filter by customer if I have ~ 3 million customers?

• Hi,

It is possible to have a master detail report in SSRS. For example i have a summary report. In the summary report when the user clicks on certain column values it opens a detail report. This done through a option Present under action which would say Go to URL / Go to Report. This window comes up when right clicks on a cell in report and chooses Text Box Properties (This is in SSRS 2008)

• Cris E (8/19/2009)

There's usually a right way, but sometimes there's a simple way too. This sounds more like a reporting problem than an analysis problem, so keep it basic. Consider creating a report for a single customer and require a parameter (without a list) for the CustomerKey. If they want to see 987654 they must already have that number in hand, so let them type it in. Saves on awkward UI problems like blown out dropdowns, runs quickly and isn't sensitive to huge data sets. If that's not what they want then at least you have a starting point for discussion that doesn't take a lot to create.

Agree with Cris here. I believe that BI is not always an answer for everything. If users need a simple report, not an analytic report, why do offer them BI? Just create a transactional report using SSRS. Save a lot of problem. Just about choosing the right solution for each problem. 😛

• Are you browsing the cube in Excel 2010?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply