SSAS Cube - No fact data

  • I am fairly new to SSAS and do not know how to troubleshoot. I have received source code for a cube from another office that I am to take over. I opened the project, changed my data sources and my deployment server. Then I deployed and processed the cube successfully. I can browse dimensions and everything is fine. In my data source view I see data in my fact tables. However, when I drag a measure into the browse area I get no numbers. I don't know what I might have missed or where to go within the cube to trace where the problem might be.

    This was source for a SSAS 2005 cube but I am using BIDS 2008 and SSAS 2008 if this helps.

    Any help on this I can get is appreciated.

  • If you edit the Data Source View, and then right click the fact table, select the option to view the data, does anything get returned?

    If there is data returned, then it's possible that a partition filter is in place (ie the query for a partition can be different to the base 'query'

    ) which could result in no records coming through.

    Steve.

  • In the data source view, I can see data when I "Explore Data".

    I go to the cube and look in the partitions tab and there is one partition for each fact table. I don't see any filters. Is this what you were referring to?

  • Is your dimension usage set-up correctly? (one of the tabs in the cube)

    I usually forget this when I create new measure groups and dimensions and it can really mess things up in the browser.

    (and unfortunately it is always the last place where I look when debugging :-))

    Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

  • Also make sure that the CALCULATE; statement is the first line of cube calculation script (Calculations tab). If this statement is missing, the cube will show no data.

  • Check to see if any of the dimensions have a default value. If the default value is set, but the dimension is otherwise not used, that filter is automatically applied.

  • Thank you for all the feedback.

    I think the issue has to do with the underlying data which would sort of be related to dimension usage. The keys are no longer matching in my source data for one dimension that ties to all the fact tables. An inner join will return 0 rows. I have removed the offending dimension and am reprocessing the cube. Unfortunately, this takes a few hours so I will not know until then.

    Thanks,

    Brian.

  • I just had similar case. My problem was that only SOME of my facts were missing (zeros). And after reading this discussion I remembered that i changed one dimension view. Basically I had there NULL values for my fact data has it too (not best practice, I know). But what I didn't do, was to say to my dimension that it should manage Unknown member (was set to not visible).

    For me, the hint to go and overlook dimension connections to facts got an idea to fix the problem. Thanks.

  • That tip worked. Thank you.

  • Thanks for the CALCULATE comment. This saved my well week actually. I have been hitting my head against the wall for some time now. Never realized that this could hide all data from my cube. Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😀

    -Mad-

  • Omg Omg, you are a lifesaver with the CALCULATE tip

  • I had a similar problem. I removed the CALCULATE when I entered a code for a new calculated member. That solved my problem. Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply