SS05 Agent job step configuration files

• I've set up one SQL Server Agent job (SS05 SP3) with 5 steps to run five SSIS packages. Each package is stored in SQL Server, and uses one configuration file, stored on the server. When reviewing the jobs today the first job step shows it's one configuration file, the second job step shows the configuration files from the first and second job, the third shows the configuration files from the first, second, and third. This seems to be based on how I view job step properties using the "Next" and "Previous" buttons. If I step from first to last the last step viewed has 5 configuration files. If I step from last to first the first step will have 5 configs.

What's happening here? Should I change the jobs to have one package in one step per job? How does SQL Server Agent manage job steps?

Thank you for any insight.

Alan

• UPDATE - this is still a problem. I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one suffering this.

I have 5 SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) packages that I would like to run from SQL Server Agent as 5 consecutive steps of one job. Each package has 3 XML configuration files which specify input source, output destination, and package specific properties. This structure will allow me to move the packages between servers and specify test or production sources with minimal changes. The packages work.

After setting up and saving the Agent job I re-opened it and the configuration files have proliferated. The first step (first SSIS package) has the configuration files of all the following jobs, including 6 copies of the source configuration - a total of 15 configuration files. The other steps are silmilar. I went thru the steps and deleted unwanted configuration files, saved the job, and when I reopened it they were back.

How can I preserve the configuration files I set up, and only these, without setting up separate Agent jobs??

SQL Server 2005 with all the service packs.

• You might execute this:

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobsteps WHERE subsystem = 'SSIS'

And look in the command field and see if there are multiple references to the config files. If not then you are likely experiencing a GUI defect which you should goto:

connect.microsoft.com

and search for and report if you don't find one.

Since this is what is actually executed, what you are seeing in the GUI is less important (not to say it isn't a problem).

CEWII

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply