SQLServr.exe Running Out of Memory.

• Hi All,

We use sql server 2000 in the test environment and server has the capacity of 2 GB RAM. Out of 2 GB SQLSERVR.exe utilizing 1.8 GB. As a matter of fact, the other local application finding difficulty to process.

In order to free the sqlservr.exe memory utilization everytime I restart the services.

Is there any better approach to releasing/gain the memory from sqlservr.exe without restarting the services ?

Appreciated any help in this.

Note : Screeen attached for the memory utilization.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohanraj Jayaraman

• You havent mentioned the complete details:

What is the Sql Server Edition and SP info (hope you are not running Express or MSDE...

What is the OS (version and Edition)

How much total Physical RAM on the Box. (you mentioned 2GB Total)..

List the HArdware Config(CPU/DISK/RAM etc)

It is normal for SQL Server 2000 and latter to occupy 1.7+Gb of RAM.

Everything depends if you give us the above info. Assumptions are dangerous and might end up in long list of threads...

• Please look for following topics:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189631.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188787.aspx

and related.

You can use the stored procedure sp_configure to define how your MS SQL server should use memory.

You can set the following values: "max server memory" (default is not limited) and "min server memory"

(default is 0). This means, the SQL server will try to allocate memory automatically and use all memory,

it can allocate.

It is perhaps an idea for you to define equal values for "max server memory" = "min server memory" = 1 GB.

Will mean, SQL server will allocate 1 GB on startup and never extent it.

• Thanks for the reply and find the below info.

SQL Serve Edition - SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition, SP2

OS - Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard Edition) , SP2

Physical Memory - 3.99 GB

Hardware : Intel Xeon E5420 @2.50Ghz

Please let me know if need more input in this.

Regards,

Mohanraj Jayaraman

• How much memory do you want SQL to use? SQL is an animal and will consume whatever you allow it to ... You can give it more than what it's at now, but it's hitting that threshold because of several factors.

If you want it to use more, configure your max server memory (sp_configure) appropriately. If you want it to use more, you'll need to enable the /3GB switch in the boot.ini.

• Hi friends...

Here also same problem...even though i configure minimum and maximum server memories...using sp_configure

but sqlservr.exe process is not releasing the memory to OS.. its keeps on blocking that memory

hope u understand my problem...can you please give me suggestions or solutions..

GaNeSH

• SQL Dev (8/3/2009)

Hi friends...

Here also same problem...even though i configure minimum and maximum server memories...using sp_configure

If you used sp_configure to change the memory allocated, did you then run RECONFIGURE in order to actually make the runtime use those values?

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply