SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - The Future

• sqlcopilot (4/30/2015)

What about license restrictions?

I heard Brent speak about this and my understanding was that you are not allowed to store the result of sp_Blitz or save the script on any server that you are comercially working on. I.e. on clients machines.

If I am correct you may only use this on servers that your employer own.

Just asking...

I hope I am wrong because I love the script. But today I would not put it on any of my clients servers because of this.

[/quote]

You'll have to ask Brent Ozar Unlimited about this. We own this server, so I think we're OK. If we're out of compliance, I'm happy to remove results.

We aren't really storing results, however. We're storing a count of issues. Then we compare that count and if it changes, we can run the script and look for something that stands out. Ideally I'd like to get this list down to 0, but that's not easy to do.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/30/2015)

You'll have to ask Brent Ozar Unlimited about this. We own this server, so I think we're OK. If we're out of compliance, I'm happy to remove results.

We aren't really storing results, however. We're storing a count of issues. Then we compare that count and if it changes, we can run the script and look for something that stands out. Ideally I'd like to get this list down to 0, but that's not easy to do.

Yeah, there's no rules at all about storing results. Once the scripts are on the server, it's a free-for-all - anybody can run it, store results, etc. Our big concerns are distributing the script, or modifying it.

• robert.sterbal 56890 (4/30/2015)

I appreciate someone pointing out licensing challenges with this script.

Is there a better forum for asking questions about what metrics you can pull back with sql monitor?

I'd particularly like to see table counts exceeding certain thresholds.

This is the best place for Monitor questions on the product: https://forums.red-gate.com/

We also have some metrics you can pull down and use here: http://sqlmonitormetrics.red-gate.com/

• Brent Ozar (4/30/2015)

To elaborate a little more about the licensing - here's some of the challenges we've faced in the past.

We found a consulting company that was modifying sp_Blitz®, then installing it on their clients' servers. After the consulting company was asked to leave (for unrelated reasons, I hope!), we got support calls about why sp_Blitz® was breaking so badly. I looked at the code, and it had code we'd never written. That's not fair to us to have to support that company's bad code.

In another case, a blogger was distributing an old version of sp_Blitz® and not keeping it up to date. We got emails from people saying they had the latest version but it still had bugs - when the real problem was that they kept downloading this blogger's old zip file.

We pour a lot of our free time into building this stuff, and we love giving it away - but we want people to always get the most up-to-date version to keep our support time down, and we want to make sure we're properly credited for the hard work we do. That's why we don't allow folks to redistribute our code and install it on servers they don't own.

We have nothing against consultants though! You're free to use our tools to make your life easier - just don't install them on servers you don't own. Ask the server owners to install 'em, and then go from there.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the clarification, Brent.

• Steve,

Quickly looking through the board, I think I want an additional product, SQL Data Monitor

412-977-3526 call/text

• Don't answer here, but feel free to send me a note (sjones at s__s____c____.com)

How would you define data monitor? What does it do? How granular and configurable? I think you're perhaps asking for more than you have thought of.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply