SQLServerCentral.com - The Missing Manual

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQLServerCentral.com - The Missing Manual

• Woo hoo!

I've always wanted to be the first to post a reply to a topic :w00t:

Just a quick comment to say that at first impressions, I'm very impressed!  Gone are the fading menus that I had no end of trouble trying to navigate properly, the virtual briefcase is now a dream to use and I can find things again (yeah, I made notes on the articles with the first version, but they only ever seemed to make sense to me the day I wrote them :hehe:)

Articles seem to be in some sort of order as well - the number of times I'd read an article and then be damned if I could find it again (incidentally my sympathies with the search engine - we've just hit that brick wall at full force too)

So, may I be the first one to say "congratulations on a job well done"

Now I'll dig a bit deeper and find some realy annoying little quirks to moan about 😉

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• And having made the first post - the forums are way better.

Just keep that "Supreme Being" title under my avatar and you've won brownie points forever!

---------------------------------------
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• I don't like the briefcase view.  I've saved up quite a few articles (117) and when in pull it up, I see only 8 articles at a time.  If I want that article 6 months ago, I have to go through multiple pages; NO GOOD.

How about trying this, make an option to display 20, 30, 40,... articles at a time. Or, make it an option to display only the titles and all articles (like it was).

• Supreme Beings are removed, sorry 🙁

Thanks for the notes and please drop future suggestions in the "New Site " or Suggestions forums. I've passed these along.

• Maybe a more appropriate place for this question :

How does the new points system work?  It used to be only the # of posts, but apparently something else counts nowadays.  Care to explain this one with more details Steve?

• I had a fuzzy explanation a month ago, but didn't hold onto it. I've asked for a new one 🙂

• Is it just my computer, or does the Where Did It Go? section (table?) get cut off on the right for others?

Mattie

• Mattie, must be your computer. Looks fine here. Image attached

• I thought you just turned 40, so why are you using 1024 x 768 resolution, instead of 800 x 600?:)

Seriously though, changing the resolution to the absolutely unreadable 1024 x 768 (for me) displayed the complete text. (Not that I could read it, but I could discern that the words weren't cut off.) I've also noticed other posts commenting about having to scroll horizontally to read the newsletter (as I have had to), and I'm wondering if that's caused by the resolution as well.

The good news is that I haven't noticed any 'run off the right side of the page' forum posts that occurred occasionally in the old format.

And not to make this a laundry list of complaints, but I have another question. First, on those rare occasions when my newsletter hasn't been delivered (or was crushed by the spam filter), I was able to go to sqlservercentral.com and view the newsletter in the archives. I wasn't able to find that when I checked yesterday; if it's still available, where do I find it, and if it's not, can it be restored?

Thanks,

Mattie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply